Wednesday, December 22, 2010

DTOD: DJ Cipha Sounds

Today's Douche of the Day is DJ Cipha Sounds (real name Luis Diaz) of NY Radio Station Hot 97. During his Friday morning broadcast for Hot 97, Diaz (a.k.a DJ Cipha Sounds), made a statement that he thought his listeners would find funny. He claimed that "the reason I am HIV negative is because I don't mess with Haitian girls". Oh Cipha, that's just hysterical!

In the first place, there is nothing funny about HIV. No matter how you play it, I can't find anything funny about that disease. And this is coming from a guy who loves base humor like that found in "Family Guy" and "South Park"! I just don't see any humor coming from a horrible death.

Secondly, Haiti has more than it's share of problems. They are well documented. However, I have to say that virtually every Haitian I have met in this country is clean, industrious, committed to improving his standing in this country, and dedicated to his culture and heritage. I'm sure that this doesn't describe EVERY Haitian, but, from my experience, it applies certainly to the great majority (why Haiti itself is mired in abject poverty is a discussion for another day). So, they don't deserve such a derogatory statement like that, especially since its not warranted. He apologized but the damage was done.

So, for his callous and insensitive remarks, DJ Cipha Sounds is today's DOTD. Congratulations.

PS: The Haitian community rallied and demonstrated Tuesday morning at Hot 97's studios. DJ Cipha Sounds was subsequently suspended by the station.

No comments:

Post a Comment