Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In response: Michele Bachman


First, please allow me to thank all of you who participate in the forum that TalkFrank is supposed to be. It always amazes me that anyone would even take the time to read my shit much less make the effort to actually respond to it! Again, thank you - even to those of you who are wrong! :)

There were a number of comments made that I think I should respond to directly. The rest will be the usual: Brain Droppings. It has been said that I "snipe" at Republicans only. Well, contrare my dear. I really do make an effort to call a douche a douche. TalkFrank is an equal opportunity abuser. In recent weeks I have called out two democratic "stalwarts", John Edwards and Anthony Weiner, for their douchey behavior. Yes, there has been a disproportionate number of Republicans, but I truly can't help that! IMHO, they are just such EASY TARGETS! After all the Republican Party, along with its Tea Party supporters, has been dubbed The Party of NO. And that ain't meant in a complimentary way!!

One could judge the relative strength of its party by the viability of its Presidential hopefuls. Well, if you honestly appraise the current Republican field of candidates and can't see, or choose NOT to, that this is the weakest crop in recent memory, then I need to smoke whatever it is that you're tokin' ! :) Let's say they are an eccentric lot at best.

It was also said that I was finding fault with values that I agree with. I was also asked what issue I had with religious fervor. First, and let me make this clear, I FIND LITTLE in the way of common ground with ANY of the Republican candidates in general, and with Michele Bachmann in particular. She (and they) would take away a woman's right to choose. The so-called abortion issue is about a woman's right to make an EXTREMELY difficult decision about HER OWN BODY. If you stop and think about it, it's one way that the Republicans can finally live up to one of their own mantras: a smaller, less intrusive government. It's simple, allow the woman to choose without interference. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN ABORTION, THEN DON'T HAVE ONE! This is a moral and ethical decision that NO government has any business being part of.

If she (they), had their way, she would also prevent two PEOPLE, who wish to share their lives together, from doing so. Ultimately, who gives a shit how two people, whatever their sexual orientation or proclivity, live their lives! Bachmann (they) would also prevent talented, dedicated individuals from serving their country in the Military simply because of their sexual orientation. WTF?! This is what kills me: Republicans (and the Tea Party) constantly talk about restoring our constitutional freedoms, while at the same time denying basic human rights to a large portion of our population!

This plays well with my objection to Bachmann's religious fervor. It's this adherence to religious dogma, that is at the root of most of the world's most pressing issues today. It doesn't matter if it's Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, or Islamic fervor, it all leads to the same intractable position: We are the way. Well, obviously then, there are many ways. As a devout (i.e. fundamentalist) Christian, Bachmann would have us believe that, with God's blessing, she will bring god into government and, therefore, our everyday lives. Who's god? Her god? I'm sorry guys but I don't believe in her god, and, therefore, will thank her to keep it out of MY government. Yes, I find a lot of fault with religious fervor.

The question was also raised, "what brilliant things has Obama said or done". Well, there are many but two come immediately too mind. First, the way he executed (pun intended) the plan to capture or kill Osama bin Laden was simply brilliant. It showed a man at the top of his game. Not only was the operation handled flawlessly, the way Obama handled a delicate situation in the aftermath was nothing short of brilliant. In contrast, you have two leading Republicans, Bachmann and Palin, who can't even get the most basic American history correct. Need I mention Lexington, Concord, and Paul Revere?

Second, I saw him speak to a group of supporters of Israel in the days just after his controversial comments on the Palestinian issue. I saw this confident leader speak in clear, strong language, and delineate his position without wavering. He took a potentially hostile audience and completely won them over. Powerful. I saw no wavering here.

On the subject of Obama's so-called wavering on important issues, people have to understand that, IMHO, he is a centrist, i.e. a man looking for common ground in a divided Congress. I'll admit, there are times that this philosophy can be frustrating. However, when you look at it in the bigger picture, don't you think, considering the situation in Congress, it may turn out to be the most effective? How this is destroying the country (as has been said), I don't really know.

Someone also said that Sarah Palin is harmless and that we should leave her alone. Well, she is NOT harmless and, therefore, cannot be left alone. She must be called out for the charlatan that she is! She is a brilliant but shameless self-promoter who sold out the people of Alaska to make a buck! Her most recent trip to historic American sites to promote American values was a promotion all right - for HER and her new REALITY SHOW. It's shameless and so is she.

Look, I don't mean to discount any one's thoughtful opinion. But I do want to make an effort to point out things that may not be easily recognized for the hype that it is. Perhaps, because I'm in the news business, I may be a little more apt to read between the lines. It's probably just my nature, too! So, I shout out, especially to you ladies: don't let slick talkers and couture looking ladies fool you. If they get the chance, they'll gain immeasurable power and we'll get the shaft.

Again, and I SINCERELY mean it, thanks for your time and participation! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment