Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Space Shuttle Discovery

I am once again pleased and proud to say that I've been chosen to join the crew covering the launch of the Space Shuttle Atlantis for its, and the entire Space Shuttle program's, final launch, scheduled for 7/7/11. Obviously, I am privileged to witness and document this historic event.

The last time I experienced a Shuttle launch was in July of 2006 with the successful "return to space" of the Space Shuttle Discovery. The was an historic event as well as it was the first launch of the Space Shuttle since the tragic loss of the Shuttle Columbia.

The word awesome is well over-used and, therefore, is in danger of being trivialized. However, I can't think of a more apropos one to describe witnessing a launch as we in the media do. We are only 2 miles from the actual "blast off" site. So, not only is the view spectacular but so is the feeling. The blast is so intense, the light so blinding, and the sound so deafening, that you can actually FEEL the launch. As the ship rises from its launch platform and takes to the sky, the pressure being exerted by the thrust of the engines can be felt deep in your chest. The safety rails surrounding our shooting platform begin to rattle. Slowly the shock wave spreads across the parking lot that surrounds the launch pad, setting off, each row in turn, the alarms of the cars parked their. The flame generated by the launch is as blinding as any sunny day. And I found the so-called roar of the engines not to be what I expected. Instead of a continuous roar, it was a series of loud, rapid fire "pops", almost like the popping of bubble rap (but, obviously, more intense). I was told that this sound comes from water vapor in the air around the super-heated exhaust exploding. And in about a minute or so, it's all over. Like I said, AWESOME.

The photos below were made, basically in sequence, from the launch of The Discovery. Hopefully, I'll have more for all when I return from The Last Mission.











No comments:

Post a Comment