Sunday, August 5, 2012

Today's MOMENT OF ZEN 8/5/12

Words and Photo: F LoBuono

It seems to happen every year. Summer flies by in the blink of an eye. It's been a hot one, too. The hottest in recent memory. And there's still plenty of that wonderful, sticky, hot, hazy, humid weather left to go! But, at the same time, it fills me with a sense of melancholy, too. Despite occasionally feeling like I've been covered by a wet dish rag, I love the summer. It's just so alive. People are out, kids are playing, the air is filled with laughter. Fierce and spectacular thunderstorms puncture the stale and stifling atmosphere. But summer only lasts for a short time. It, like all things, has it's time, it's season. It is ephemeral. As is life. The song Turn, Turn, Turn, based on a biblical passage in the Book of Ecclesiastes (3:1), written by Pete Seager and popularized by The Birds, says it best: to every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.


I'd like to think that I'm still in the summer of my life.  But, realistically, it is late summer. At this time of the year, as summer inexorably reaches its end, I am reminded of my own need for urgency - summer IS waning! The fullness, the richness of summer will soon be replaced by the beautiful, but more subdued, fall. And I'm not ready yet! But, summer WILL end, replaced by fall, to be replaced by winter, etc. It IS the never ending cycle of life. I always wish that, when I feel like this, there was something that I could write, a phrase I might turn, that would alter, or at least slow, the process. Unfortunately, I don't have that power. And I don't believe that ANYONE, even the mightiest writer, does. No. There must be a resolution, a surrender of sorts, to fate. There must be an acceptance. And when you let go through acceptance, you find peace. The peace of Zen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment