Saturday, January 5, 2013

Today's MOMENT OF ZEN 1/5/13

Words and photo by F LoBuono
I've been corresponding via Facebook with a young man from Ghana, in West Africa. He's interested in becoming a journalist and dreams of coming to America to live and work. The problem is that he's lost his parents and he is caring for his younger sister alone. Tough for a young man. Seeing my profile and knowing I'm a journalist, he's looked to me for advice in his quest and I've done my best to give it to him. I've also tried to help him directly. For example, I recently introduced him, via phone, to the woman who oversees the CBS News internship program. I will continue to do what I can for him. As a bit of parting advice to close our last correspondence, I wrote him this. It's the same advice I would give any immigrant, young person, or "old" one:

Understand this: The streets of America are not lined with gold! You have to work HARD to get ahead. However, if you do, and NEVER quit, you can do ANYTHING in this Country. That's what makes it great.

Study. Study. Study.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
Learn. Learn. Learn.
Work. Work. Work.
Live. Live. Live.
Smile. Smile. Smile.

Still, there is no guarantee, except this one: you'll NEVER get there if you don't TRY.
Peace. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment