Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Today's MOZEN: The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship 6/2/2105

By F LoBuono
It was a chance encounter. I was merely stopping by a photographer friend's studio to say "hello". I often pass his place on my frequent sojourns into town, so it's pretty convenient to drop in. He had a client but invited me into his studio anyway to meet her. I could feel her energy the moment I laid eyes on her. A petite woman, I don't think that she had 90 lbs on her five-foot frame. She was fit and trim and immaculately dressed in a sharp, pale blue pants suit. She wore just enough make-up to highlight her features, particularly her piercing blue eyes. Her matching jewelry was definitely haute-couture. I estimated that she must have been in her late 70's. This woman was worldly. I noticed a stunning medallion that hung from a long gold chain around her neck as she introduced herself. She looked me right in the eye, very directly, held out her hand and said:

"hi, I'm Karen".

"Hello, Karen, my name is Frank and it's a pleasure to meet you", I replied while shaking her hand and meeting her gaze.

All along her eyes were studying my face. She must have felt me smile at noticing her stare and she apologized and explained:

"I don't mean to stare but I am so intrigued by your face. It has such power and character".

She explained further that she was a sculptor and cast medals, mostly of historic figures, by special commission from such prestigious entities as The White House and The Smithsonian. In fact, she was at my friend's studio for him to photograph and catalogue her work. She showed me the medal she had around her neck, telling me it was one of her latest. Polished brass, it was the heroic figure of an idealized Olympic Athlete. I found it most beautiful. She showed me photos of her other pieces and they were all outstanding.

However, what I found most impressive was the woman herself. She had such courage, such honesty in her quest for her art, such integrity in her bearing, that she should have stood ten feet tall instead of just five! What was most interesting is that I truly felt her power, and she sensed mine, as well. The connection was immediate and visceral.

We have had a few conversations since that initial meeting and our relationship continues to grow. Karen wants to cast a medal of me as the incarnation of John Brown! She said my energy reminded her of a heroic figure like Brown. In fact, she recently said that the only person she has ever met with the same type of energy was her late husband, a nine-time Olympian fencer. I was flabbergast because I know that she meant it. And, this is not a weak or trite person. This is a powerful artist who expresses what she feels. I am so humbled by the very thought of it. However, I know that part of being graceful is not only found in giving, it is in receiving, as well. Accepting this from her is nothing short of an honor, and I see it as such. I believe that it is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

By the way, Karen is not in her 70's. She's 91 and volunteers to drive her friends that don't see very well around.




1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful commentary on an extraordinary encounter Frank.

    ReplyDelete