Saturday, June 13, 2015

Today's MOZEN: A Meditation on Vegetarianism

Words and photo by F LoBuono
It's a controversial topic. But, when have I ever been reluctant to discuss difficult subjects? I wish that life were all smiles and sunshine, but we all know that just ain't the case. Besides, hiding you head in the sand leaves your ass exposed and that can be hazardous to your health. So, let's talk about vegetarianism.

People seem surprised when I tell them I'm practicing vegetarian. And, I do say practicing because it is a work in progress. I am far from perfect at it, and for various reasons, occasionally fall off the wagon. Besides, in our culture it is not easy to be a vegetarian. But, I do the best that I can on a daily basis and I succeed more than I fail. So, with all the difficulties, why?

Well, it's complicated. It was certainly not something that happened overnight and without a great deal of soul-searching. All of my ancestors come from Sicily where food is one of biggest parts of the culture. As a young man, we always ate well. In fact, many of my friends were jealous of the quality and diversity of our meals. We ate EVERYTHING. To say it was "well balanced" was an understatement. Because we were so diverse in our food sources, meat, as well as fish and all types of vegetables, was included. Like most peasant cultures (which Sicilian is), we ate ALL of the animal - nothing was wasted. Coming from such a background meant that limiting my diet in any way would be a challenge.

Eliminating meat was something that I had considered for a while. I had always loved animals, as did my entire family. I can't remember a single day growing up where we didn't have some type of living creature in our house - a dog, a cat, or even fish. My father had an incredible affinity for his dogs and they provided great comfort to him in his later years. And, my mother felt the same way. At 91 she still lives with a cat! So, the more that I thought about it, the more I could not longer rationalize loving some animals while eating others. Besides, given the opportunity to be loved and cared for virtually all animals respond in kind - just like any domesticated one. And, in some cases, more so. For example, studies have shown pigs to be at least as intelligent as dogs and also revel in attention and affection. Yet, we crate, abuse, and slaughter them in the most callous manner while we spend billions on caring for our dogs. Why?

Most people will argue that eating meat is totally natural. In fact, anthropologists tell us that the high quality protein we get from eating cooked meat was essential to the development of the modern brain. They will also point to our teeth, good for eating just about ANYTHING, as further evidence of our ability and need to eat meat. There is some good science that challenges this assertion. Be that as it may, my discussion follows along more ethical lines. I do not eat meat because I have CHOSEN not to.

I have chosen not to because the way that our meat is processed is cruel and inhuman - and it needn't be. The only reason it is so is because it is CHEAPER to raise and slaughter animals under deplorable conditions than it is to do it with wisdom and compassion. And, I have seen it firsthand. When I was on assignment in China, we had to visit and document a chicken slaughterhouse. I will spare the details except to say that it was cold, calculated, efficient, deadly, and ghastly. A living, breathing being was reduced to a mass of dead flesh in a matter of minutes. It was the type of death house that has become known as Factory Farming - just like producing nuts and bolts from iron, except this time it's turning living creatures into dead ones. And, still, this was not enough to get me to stop. No. I was still able to rationalize my need for protein as the excuse to continue to eat meat. The epiphany for me came on another assignment - this time in Iowa. I was there to cover the Iowa Caucus of 2012. While watching TV in my hotel room, a PETA video came on. It was of a sow who's hind legs would not function anymore. Yet, she was still CRAWLING up the shoot to her own slaughter!! That was IT for me. How many videos like that one did I have to see before I acted?? I had to change. And, I did.

As I said, it is perfectly natural for people to eat meat - we have from the very beginning of our existence. I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever. It is ingrained in our DNA. However, I would ask people to at least consider what they eat and how it got there in the first place. Organic ranching and farming is one, reasonable alternative. Generally, animals raised in this manner are more humanely treated and raised properly. Now, there will be those who will not accept even this as an alternative to eating meat - killing is still killing. However, I don't believe that it is realistic to expect most people to stop eating meat completely. What would be more reasonable to expect is for people to have a daily awareness to minimize, if not completely eliminate, cruelty in their lives. Looking for natural, organic alternatives is one way. Abstinence, if and when you are ready, is another.

Look, I'm far from perfect at it. I still eat fish (a compromise). I'm sure FAR from vegan. And, if I'm invited for dinner and someone went to the trouble of making me a steak, I'm NOT going to throw it in the garbage! That would be an even bigger sin than sacrificing the animal in the first place. What I do is my best to be aware and minimize cruelty in the world where ever and when ever I may find it. I would humble ask you to do the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment