Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Today's MOZEN: Live Like Red

Big Red near the end of his life.
Most of my readers are familiar with the story of BIG RED. He crawled through an open window in my apartment and never left. We took care of each other for twenty years - until his death almost two years ago.

The last few months of Red's life were full of challenges. He would have good days and bad. On occasion he was his usual mischievous self. But, more often then not, he struggled. He became incontinent and had trouble walking. I did everything in my power to make his last days as comfortable as possible.

Finally, we both knew it was time. Red simply had nothing left. NOTHING. He was totally spent. His race was run.

I want to go out like Big Red did - totally, completely, and utterly finished. I want to have nothing left to give and nothing left to live for. I will not go gently into that good night - until I'm good and damned ready to do so. And, I'll do it on MY terms - just like Red. I intend to leave barely a husk behind. I want to be wasted, desiccated, consumed, ravaged, ruined - because I will have given all that I had to give.

And, then die in the arms of a loved one - and hang with Big Red once again.


1 comment:

  1. WELL SAID, BROTHER -OUR ANIMAL FRIENDS TEACH US TO LIVE FULLY , JOYFULLY, AND IN THE NOW-THEY GIVE US AQLL THEIR ENERGI AND LOVE AND PASS ON W/ OUT A QUIVER OF DOUBT OR TEARS ,,A GREAT LESSON FOR ALL OF US TO EMULATE -I RESPECT YOUR THINKING AND LIFE , AS WELLAS THAT OF YOUR GOOD COMRADE -'BIG RED' -IN THE END WE'LL BE REUNITED W/ ALL THE ONES WE TRUYLY LOVE , REST IN PEACE , RED ,AND MERRY !!!!!

    ReplyDelete