Saturday, March 26, 2016

When You Think About It: The Message of Easter

Words and photo by F LoBuono
It is now Easter Sunday. It's meaning should not be lost on anyone - even those like myself who reject most of the trappings of religious zeal. I am a firm believer in freedom OF religion as well as freedom FROM religion. Still, even with that said, I refuse to reject the sublime, transcendent beauty of the Message.

The Christ showed us the way. Still, I'm not going to debate his divinity. I'm not into the "3 day thing", etc. Believe it or not, that has no ultimate importance to me. I am not obsessed with an afterlife. I am concerned with his Message as it applies to everyday life. And, his life AND death was all about showing us the importance of one theme above all others: ONLY LOVE CAN CONQUER HATE. He subjected himself to one of the most gruesome deaths known to man. He suffered degradation and humiliation, even when offered a chance to save himself. Why would ANY person, much less a divine being, do this if they could be spared? The answer is that he showed us that our fear can be overcome - but, only if we LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY - yes, even our enemies. Love, not some pie-in-the-sky morality, is what makes us immortal!

So, no matter what faith you subscribe to, the Message remains clear. This is NOT in praise of religion - ANY religion. Even if you have no faith at all, you can still hear and LIVE the message. Love one another. Always. It conquers all.



No comments:

Post a Comment