Friday, November 3, 2017

Today's MOZEN: What's in a Name?

F LoBuono

My true, given name, i.e. the one on my birth certificate, is Francis Joseph LoBuono. Yes, my real name is Francis. The problem is NO ONE has ever called me that except my mother - when she's pissed off at me, or childhood friends who wanted to make fun of me - you know, insinuating that it's also a girl's name (which is true - with a slightly different spelling - Frances).

I never responded to Francis, partially because no one ever called me that, but, also because I simply did not like it.

First, Francis always sounded so formal -and, I'm a pretty informal guy. The more straightforward Frank suited me just fine. Besides, I did not care for the duality of the name, i.e. being the same for a man or a women. A name should be for one gender or the other. At least that's the way I felt as a kid.

Second, I was named after my maternal grandfather, Francesco. But, as my immigrant family was desperately trying to assimilate, they wanted me to have the Anglicized version - Frank. However, as I was also baptized as a Catholic, I had to be given a saints name. Since there is no Saint Frank but there are at least two Saint Francis', that's what appeared on my birth certificate. So, there you have the history.

Simple, right?

Many people also call me Frankie. And, despite the fact that I'm 62 and most see that as a kid's moniker, I don't mind at all. In fact, I'll answer to Frankie WAY before I will to Francis! In an odd twist, my mother will frequently calls me Frankie while my brother and sister rarely do, preferring Frank. When people ask me if I mind being called a name mostly reserved for juveniles, I usually respond by saying that I prefer it to being called Tom.

I suppose the bottom line is this: you can call me Frank or Frankie. Just don't call be late for dinner - or, Francis.

That is all.

EVERYONE has a story to tell. Here are some inspired by my tale. Thanks to all:

I was named for my mom, her middle name Lois Elaine. I have no middle. Odd    Elaine Oberkehr Sedan

I was born Mary Mitchell (no middle name either, Elaine.) My mother wanted Elizabeth as a middle, but both grandmother's were Mary and dad said, Let's not favor. When I married, being the feminist I am, I never took my husband's surname. So, I was, am and always will be Mary Mitchell. I like it.           Mary Mitchell


I am Elizabeth. But my sister came up with nickname, Lisa. My family and friends have always called me Lisa. Where it gets confusing is on paper, legal docs. I have had a SS# since I was 2 yrs old ( I was a model and on the cover of My Baby magazine in 1958). So I needed a SS#. But my driver's license/ passport says Elizabeth. I voted under Lisa until I moved to South Jersey. Then through a mix up, I needed to be Elizabeth. All my years of income taxes had been Lisa. Car insurance and airplane tickets are Elizabeth. Aren't you glad you asked, Frank?        Lisa Meyer

The name om my Birth Certificate is Elizabeth Louise Pinheiro. The only people who ever used Elizabeth were the Nuns and Teachers in Grammar school. They would never allow me to be called Betty. However for some strange reason it was alright for my Classmates to use Liz. When I went to High School I always went by Betty. My last name was always butchered because the h and i are silent but everyone insisted on pronouncing them.     Betty Pinheiro Bennett


 I was named after my Dad who is Michael Joseph Mackin. My Dad had a twin, named after my grandfather, John Mackin ( who was born Anthony John Mackin, but that's another story.)My folks didn't want me to be a "Jr.",So I was named Michael John. To this day, my Aunt and Uncle , my cousins, and even some of my nieces call me, as if it were one word, "Michaeljohn "   Michael Mackin

If someone calls me Judith it has to be a grammar school classmate or my Dad! Lol     Judith DePietro Mekles

Karen Ann Waldbusser. I love my father with all that I am but I used to beg him to shorten it and delete the busser! I have ptsd: Waldbanger, Ball Buster, Buzzer etc. I would die on the first day of school as the teachers tried to pronounce it.
Karen Heller.



2 comments:

  1. In my sons case being babtized Catholic, Joby is not an accepted name so his middle name is Christian ( hmm, that also makes his first two initials JC). It was accepted for his baptism.

    ReplyDelete