Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Today's MOZEN: Sticking Needles in my Eyes.

F LoBuono

It's no secret. I am not an economist. I have even gone so far as to putting that in writing on this very blog. In fact, I suck with numbers! That's why I employ experts in the field to help me with any economic issues that effect me. I have an excellent accountant and financial planner - thank god!

So it is with the current tax reform legislation before both houses of Congress and promoted by the President. I cannot answer with personal, firsthand knowledge as to exactly how these changes may effect me and others like me. Therefore, I will do my research to try to learn more. This once again requires me to rely on others whom I trust and are well more versed on the subject than me.

With this in mind, I can honestly say that I would rather stick needles in my eyes before I trusted that a Republican had my best interests at heart!

First, why should I believe in ANYONE who blindly follows a man who has a strained relationship with the truth at best and is an unapologetic liar at worst?  Furthermore, their hypocrisy knows no bounds. After negotiating behind closed doors and virtually without Democratic or public input, they even had the temerity to slip in a last minute provision in the bill that would greatly favor lining their own pockets (see Senator Bob Corker and President Donald J. Trump just to name two who will stand to benefit the most).

Next, a leopard cannot change its spots. The GOP's very foundation is built to aid the wealthy. And, this is not just some liberal bull shit. They honestly believe that by rewarding the rich they are making the Country better. More money for business = more jobs = more money for the middle class. Despite numerous studies that definitively show that it doesn't work*, the GOP has managed to sell that shit to the working man for years! With the ultimate miser in power, why should they change now??

Lastly, experts that I trust, men like Robert Reich** and Larry Summers ***, scholars with a vast wealth of knowledge in the field, universally condemn the plan as misguided at best and incredibly harmful as worst. And, they are not alone. The number of economists who see this simply as rewarding the rich at the expense of the middle class is staggering.

Perhaps, your research leads you to a different conclusion. But, I know what my eyes see and what my gut tells me - this legislation will simply line the pockets of those who crafted it and everyone else be DAMNED. You may accept that. I never will.




*https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trickle-down-economics-is-a-nightmare-kansas-proved-it/2017/06/12/c2d7aae0-4fa6-11e7-91eb-9611861a988f_story.html?utm_term=.65cc0615df44

** https://www.alternet.org/election-2016/reich-every-aspect-trumps-trickle-down-economic-plan-benefits-him

***http://larrysummers.com/2017/01/17/economy-under-trump-plan-for-the-worst/





3 comments:

  1. SMASH ❤ Great piece. Agree❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. So disgusted with this kiss-ass house and congress I could spit! How does something like this get to eventually be signed into law? Besides all the other harm he is doing to our country, i.e., climate change, ruining our parks, etc. I can't express how much I despise this man!!

    ReplyDelete