Tuesday, September 4, 2018

On Teaching

Words and photo F LoBuono

Today marks the beginning of another school year.  I will once again be teaching graduate students at the Fordham University Lincoln Center Campus in Midtown Manhattan. It's my second semester with the grad students and my third year in total at the school. Yet, despite my age and experience, I still get the pre-school jitters. It's the same feeling I got as a young student - a mixture of excitement and trepidation.

Yes, I still get nervous!

Even though I've been making a living in the media, including TV News, for about 35 years (I teach them multi-media production techniques) I worry about a bunch of things, none more so than if I'm actually well versed enough in new technologies to know more than a bunch of young people that were born with cell phones in their hands and have the expertise that goes with it. Remember, I went to school during an era when it was BIG deal to have an electric typewriter. So, as I always tell them in the first class, they will teach me as much as I them.

Besides the practical aspect of teaching them the skills necessary to compete in a VERY competitive field, there is the emotional aspect of it. It seems the older I get, the more cranky I get. I call it the get of my lawn syndrome. I just don't want to be bothered anymore. I want to have a bourbon, watch South Park and pretty much be left alone.

And, for me, teaching is a BIG deal. I don't just show up. Besides, my class is 2 hours long! So, I do an enormous amount of prep for each and every single session. Then, there's the grading, the emailing, the advising, etc. And, when I do things, I do them ALL the way. So it is with my teaching. I believe that I owe my students everything that I have. I don't/won't hold back. So, in other words, it's a shit load of work - physically and emotionally.

So, I ask myself; am I really up for this challenge?

Then it strikes me.

This is were the excited part takes over:

I realize that I have the opportunity to make young people passionate about learning new things.

I will get to know, as completely as I can, a whole new group of human beings.

I will give to them but, they will give me more.

It will be an enormous accomplishment if I can help these students discover their own voices by giving them the skills necessary to have them heard.

And, finally, I think what an honor it is that, perhaps, with my guidance, someday, one of MY students will create something that profoundly moves others and motivates positive changes in the world.

Yes, I am proud to say, I am a teacher.



No comments:

Post a Comment