Sunday, September 2, 2018

Today's MOZEN: Lojong. It's All In the 'Tude.

Words and photo by F LoBuono
Recently, I have attempted to improve my knowledge of the practice of Buddhism. However, it should be noted that to call me a neophyte at this stage of my studies would be a gross understatement. I am certainly no religious scholar . But, I am curious and want to know more. It intrigues me that Buddhism is known as a practice as much as it is a religion. The idea that there is a thought process required instead of simply blindly following ancient dogma to achieve salvation appeals to me, too.

So, in the process of my research I came across Lojongmind training practice in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition based on a set of aphorisms formulated in Tibet in the 12th century by Chekawa Yeshe Dorje. The practice requires refining and purifying one's motivations and attitudes. It is part of the dharma or path to enlightenment, i.e. salvation.

Lojong involves 59 or so slogans that form the basic text of the practice to train the mind by providing anecdotes to the undesired mental habits that cause suffering. Of all of them, the first slogan provides the foundation for all of the others. For me, they form the basis for living a full, honorable life. Here they are:

Slogan 1. First, train in the preliminaries; The four reminders.[9] or alternatively called the Four Thoughts[10]
1. Maintain an awareness of the preciousness of human life.
2. Be aware of the reality that life ends; death comes for everyone; Impermanence.
3. Recall that whatever you do, whether virtuous or not, has a result; Karma.
4. Contemplate that as long as you are too focused on self-importance and too caught up in thinking about how you are good or bad, you will experience suffering. Obsessing about getting what you want and avoiding what you don't want does not result in happiness; Ego.

I think that you might agree on the simple yet profound meaning in all four. First, by becoming aware that ALL life is worthy, we gain respect for others. Second, live life to the fullest for one day it will end. Third, doing good creates more good. And, fourth, simply let go. Stop obsessing about what you think life should be and start accepting it for what it is.

The other 58 or so all support these basic principals and are as equally logical and enriching.

So, if they are all so simple and logical, why can they be so difficult to adhere to in our daily lives?

Well, I suppose that is is because we are human - and, since the very beginning of our very existence we have searched for the answer to what that really means. Why do we exist? What is our purpose? Is THIS life truly the only one? What happens when we die? What IS death? These questions are so vast and often intimidating that we must rely on a certain collective consciousness to seek out the answers. We define that collective consciousness as Religion.

However, many religions use this life simply as a preparation for the next. I find this hollow. I do not have the kind of faith required to accept that our only purpose now is to serve an unseen god with the hope that he/she will reward us in another life. Buddhism and Lojong are giving me practical solutions to cope with THIS life in a way that rewards not only me but others, as well.

So, I will continue to practice with the hope that one day, I too will reach the salvation of enlightenment.


No comments:

Post a Comment