Thursday, September 20, 2018

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: The Bodhisattva

F LoBuono
It happens more than we realize - those small, but magic moments that occur when they are least expected. They don't have to be epiphanies but, rather, blips in a day that make us smile - and, on occasion, can even reaffirm our faith in mankind.

Often, these incidents involve the participation of another individual whom I believe to be a Bodhisattva, or Spirit Guide. Call them angels or the souls of the dearly departed, whatever, they appear in an instant, deliver their message, and disappear just as mysteriously.

It happened to me just the other night.

I had just finished teaching my graduate class at Fordham, Lincoln Center. I was hustling to get back to my car which I had parked near CBS on W57th Street, about 5 blocks. It was a warm evening and the streets were buzzing with life. I was walking at a good pace because, quite frankly, I wanted to get home in time to see the season premiere of one of favorite TV programs: The Jim Jeffries Show. As I approached 57th, I stopped at a local bodega to pick up a chocolate bar for a later snack. They're just a buck, so I stuffed my hand in my pocket to grab my money and see if I had single handy. It was rather disorganized and in no particular order. I saw a dollar mashed into the center of the pile, pealed it out, and held on to the rest of it.

It's a typical city bodega with a little bit of everything crammed into a tight, fragrant space.
It's near CBS and Roosevelt Hospital so it's always buzzing, almost frenetic. But, since grabbing a candy bar for a late night snack is a habit of mine, I have the routine down pat. It's run by, I assume hearing the language they bark at one another over the cacophony, Palestinians. They recognize me, and I them. The chocolate bars are on the right as soon as you walk in. I grab one, basically toss the dollar on the counter, and walk out. No need to wait on-line. I've been doing it for years.

After I left the store, I haphazardly stuffed the rest of the money back into my pants pocket and the chocolate bar into my jacket. As I was still in a hurry, I was certainly not very fastidious when putting the money back.

I must have taken three or four strides when I hear a women's voice. It was coming from over my left shoulder:

Sir! Sir!

I slowed down and glanced over my shoulder to see where the voice was coming from and if she did indeed mean me. A young Asian woman was hustling to catch up to me, her hand outstretched. Realizing I was the object of her attention, I slowed enough for her to catch me. It was then that I saw what was in her hand - it was a bunch of balled up money. With a huge smile on her pleasant face, she said:

Sir, this is yours!

I stretched out my hand to accept the money she was returning to me. And, with much gratitude and some surprise, blurted out:

Oh, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

She responded:

Of course.

She didn't say anything else, but we did make good eye contact. I was moved by the very nature of her smile. It was warm and true, It was almost as if she was glowing. She turned and resumed her journey and I, mine.

Moved, I smiled broadly and finished my sojourn to the car. All the way on my drive home, I thought about that young woman. Two things really stuck out in my mind: When she first spoke to me to return my money she didn't say, you dropped this. She said, this is yours. It may be a subtle difference but, it is also an important one. Of course, I dropped it. She saw the money fall from my pocket. But, it never crossed her mind to keep the money, even though I would never known, because it was MINE - not hers. And, second, she was joyous for the very opportunity to return MY money to ME.

I couldn't repay her directly for her honesty and kindness. But, what I can do is pay-it-forward. I believe that, ultimately, was her message.

That's how angels work.


2 comments: