Sunday, September 16, 2018

Today's MOZEN: The Little Things

F loBuono
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. 

The Dalai Lama

What a deep concept expressed so sublimely. But, then again, that's why he is the Dalai Lama. But, it is a philosophy that has always appealed to me, and never more so than now.

Why?

Well, first off, unlike many other ideologies, it's a doctrine that does not require you to be perfect in order to achieve salvation. In fact, it is quite tolerant of our failures. It asks us only to TRY to be better. And, you don't even have to try that hard - just be aware that your behavior effects a whole world of others and do your best to treat them as you would be treated. In other words, you don't have to do great things to save the world - little ones, practiced with regularity, will do just fine. All it takes is a little consciousness.

Allow me to give you a personal example.

I love animals. ALL animals. And, I realize that, given the chance, all sentient beings have feelings and emotions that they would gladly express. Those characteristics make every living thing worthy of our respect. So-called Factory Farming is beyond cruel. It is barbarous and savage. To fill our insatiable appetite for meat, they abuse these animals and the land they use to grow and harvest them to a sadistic degree.

And, it need not be. There are more benign alternatives. And, not all of them involve eschewing meat. There are organic farmers and ranchers who do their best to raise food animals in ways that are less ruthless. Plus, there are other, small ways to reduce cruelty in everyday life.

For six years, I have tried to be as close to becoming a vegetarian as possible. But, I am FAR from perfect at it. I still eat fish (yes, an animal) and I will eat meat if it is prepared for me by someone who doesn't know I don't regularly eat it. Or, if the alternative is to simply throw it into the garbage, I will partake. Throwing it away, to me, is actually a greater sin. To waste meat simply because it is not appealing to you does a disservice to the animal at least as bad as sacrificing it in the first place!

So, I try to do the best that I can:
- I never order meat dishes at restaurants.
- I don't shop for it in the supermarket.
- I encourage others to limit, if not completely eliminate, their meat consumption (like meatless days). 

Also, should you find yourself an unrepentant carnivore that simply cannot live without it, try buying products that were raised in a more natural environment. It  may be more expensive, but in the long run, it benefits everyone.

Another way to create good will in the world (a.k.a. KARMA) is to be a little light - a glimmer of hope and joy in an otherwise dark and gloomy world. As the world spins faster and faster it seems to get more and more dehumanizing. The pressure to succeed in an increasingly competitive world can become enormous. And, the more we experience it, the more often we become more surly and aggressive. Well, when we feel that happening, step back. Take a breath. And, turn that frown upside down. All it takes is a little effort. And, it's not as selfless as it may seem. Because, in doing so, the other person not only feels better - you do, too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment