Saturday, October 20, 2018

Today's MOZEN: How Can This Be?

F LoBuono

How can this be?

How is it that SO much of our Country opposes President Donald J. Trump while a lesser, but still significant amount, see him as the Second Coming? Remember, he LOST the popular vote by nearly 3 million. Still, over 60 million Americans went to the polls to elect him and, many still give him their undying loyalty.

Donald Trump lost the popular vote by the greatest margin in Presidential History.


Getty Images
How is it that what appears to so obviously lame, brutal, banal, and bellicose to, literally, most of us (virtually all polls show 60% disapproval), fails to diminish the rabid allegiance of his followers? In fact, it actually bolsters their support of him.

Most polls show an average 60% disapproval rate of the President.

So, the question remains: How can this be?

I have to admit, that when I think about too much, it can bring be down - sometimes, even lower than whale shit! A 40% very vocal and dedicated minority is dominating the course of our Country. And, it's in a direction I believe will ultimately lead to disaster.

Often, those in opposition to my position ask me to look past his character flaws, his bombastic speech, and obvious megalomania and focus on his accomplishments.

Well, I have 2 issues with that:

First, what accomplishments? Whatever little he has managed to achieve has been offset by his blunders. There is some movement on North Korea while our relationship with Iran has deteriorated badly. The tax cuts implemented by his Administration have ballooned the National Dept to dangerous levels. Our health care and immigration policies are in shambles. The environment is in danger of collapse. The Stock Market, once booming, is experiencing severe fluctuations. And, the latest murder of a journalist by the Saudis has become an international embarrassment for Mr. Trump and his entourage.

But, as I've said before, I am not a political scientist and have never played one on TV. So, that is not necessarily the focus of my discontent.

The character flaws are.

How can you ask me to accept traits that I find abhorrent? I do not tolerate liars and he lies - constantly. I detest bombast and that's one of Mr. Trump's favorite attributes. He is an unapologetic bully. I eat bullies for breakfast and always have. He is an inveterate philanderer. I respect women far too much to consider that kind of boorish behavior. He mocks the disabled. I have done my best to aid them in any way that I can.

And, I could go on.

Tom Tingle/The Republic

So, how can this be?

How can people continue to support someone who appears so deliberately flawed?

Well, I may have come up with an answer:


Human Nature.

Some members of our species get it and others will never. And, we see examples of that every day - if we would just take the time to notice.

I did so on my way to work this afternoon.

Today, I took the new Mario A. Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge. It's a beautiful new structure with wide, high speed lanes. Like most bridges, the roadway starts out flat before it rises to center span. Inevitably, people slow as they begin the rise. WHY? There is no traffic before them to slow them down, so why do they decelerate? It's because they are not paying attention. You have to adjust your acceleration to accommodate for the incline. MANY people fail to to do so. Of course, this unnecessarily slows EVERYONE down. I avoid this by simply setting my CRUISE CONTROL which maintains a steady, consistent drive across the entire span - and, then avoiding the idiots who have not done the same.

It's so simple. But, it takes AWARENESS and CONSIDERATION, something that Trump supporters seem to lack.

Here's another: People who insist on driving well below the speed limit in the left lane. We see them everyday taking their sweet-ass time in the lane that is meant for high speed or passing. It forces everyone to break the law and take dangerous chances to get around them. It's especially frustrating when all they have to do to take their time is move over one lane. And, if you try to force them to move over, you're the bad guy! Why? They don't know that what they are doing is against the law or, they simply don't care. Either way, it SUCKS.

This is what we must deal with when dealing with Trump supporters - people who are either ignorant of how things work and/or disregard the fact that it impacts EVERYONE.

If you find traction in what I have written you and want to create change, we DO have recourse:

MAINTAIN YOUR SPEED ON AN INCLINE.

GET THE HELL OUT OF THE LEFT LANE IF YOU WANT TO TAKE YOUR TIME.

and

VOTE.


No comments:

Post a Comment