Monday, November 22, 2010

At The Game




In my position as a photo/video journalist, I have been privileged to witness many historic events. From the horrific (9/11 and Hurricane Katrina) to the spectacular (the launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery) to the sublime (Barack Obama's acceptance speech at the DNC in Denver), I have often pinched myself during these events just to make sure that I wasn't dreaming.

Well, I had another occasion to do so this past Saturday night. I got to attend and photograph the first college football game at the new Yankee Stadium. While not as dramatic as the events I mentioned above, it was still an experience that most people simply would not have access to, making it so special and memorable. The game pitted old-time rivals Army and Notre Dame. After many previous battles at the old stadium with national title implications, they last played there in the mid 1960's.

I was originally scheduled to shoot news video for the game. However, that assignment was cancelled, effectively leaving me with my press credentials and nothing to do. Again, I had to pinch myself! Here I was, a huge fan of the Yankees and college football (I played in High School and College), standing on the hollowed ground of the most famous stadium in America, with my personal 35 mm camera and nothing but time on my hands. And my access was extraordinary; the only way to be closer to the action was to be in the huddle. I made over 100 photos. In fact, one of my co-workers (also there from the original assignment) laughed saying, "you look like your working out there". Well, it was anything but! Shooting soley for myself was pure pleasure.

The game ball was delivered to mid-field by an Army Ranger who parachuted down from a Black Hawk helicopter high above the stadium. The Army team charged out of the tunnel to take the field following one of their captains proudly streaming the Stars and Stripes. Notre Dame dashed unto the field in their rarely used kelly green jerseys with their huge band playing the famous Notre Dame fight song. If you were to write a Hollywood script about how to begin an historic college football game, this is how you would do it!

To stand on the side on the sidelines, with the glare of the stadium lights and hear the roar of the huge crowd swell and then thunder down to the field gave me goose bumps. To be part of that collective energy is an awesome experience.

It was a beautiful night with nearly a full moon. Army scored first on a field goal to take an early 3-0 lead. The sell out crowd of 54,000 + crowd was boisterous, enthusiastic and largely in favor of the Fighting Irish. Supported by their huge band and cheering section, The Fighting Irish eventually overwhelmed a game but overmatched Black Knight team 27-3. But for me, as it should be for most sports fans, especially on the collegiate level, the score should be secondary to the experience. And this one was just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment