Sunday, January 2, 2011

Brain Droppings: On New Years Eve




It's been the same way for the last few years. With the exception for the year I was away covering the Iowa Caucus, I have drawn the New Years Eve assignment from Times Square. And every year I have the same feeling about it: ambivalence. I hate it because it's hard. You spend 10-12 hours continuously outside on what can be a brutally cold day. The crowds are so enormous and the security so tight (there has to be at least 3,000 uniformed cops on duty!) that it can make even getting to the location the most difficult chore of the day. Even with my half dozen press credentials, including one specifically issued for the event, the police delay me at the entrance - just to make sure everything is in order (I suppose that in light of recent events, this is indeed a good thing!). There is little quality food to be had. Of course, if you are into pizza and Mickey D's you can participate in fine al fresco dining (I am not). And the story itself offers little, new insight into the New Year. In fact, we tease that we should show up, do little, and show last year's story. After all, no one will notice the difference! :)

But I love it too. First, once I do get past security, I have one of the best seats in the house! I'm right in the center of the action on the main stage, right next to Anderson and Kathy. I'm only about 20 feet from where the acts perform (another good thing-bad thing; good for viewing, bad for listening. My ears are still ringing from being so close to the amplifiers). I'm also perfectly positioned to view the ball drop at the stoke of midnight. Plus, I am not restricted in my movements.

However, there is more to it than just a perfect viewing location. There is the event itself. Where else, and when, can you see over a million strangers, penned together, shoulder to shoulder, for hours on end, in the freezing cold, WITHOUT major incident? Well, ONLY in NYC on New Years Eve! Some people arrive as early as 7 in the morning. Most, though, start arriving about 4 or 5 in the evening at which time they are gently herded into the "cattle pens" where they will have to stay for THE ENTIRE NIGHT. Once you are in, you are not allowed out - for ANY reason (including the use of a bathroom). The pens, with the exception of emergency passage lanes for fire and ambulance, stretch across 7th Avenue and Broadway from about 40th St. all the way to Central Park (59th St.).

So, one might ask, "why put up with all of that"? Well, just seeing that many people in one spot at one time is, in itself, an awesome experience. And being part of the collective energy of one million people, all waiting for the same moment to arrive is nothing short of exhilarating. The excitement builds throughout the night, culminating in 10 of the most anticipated seconds of the year. When the big moment finally arrives, the crowds participate in an orgy of kissing, screaming, laughing, hugging, singing, and general good feeling. In the interviews that we conduct, asking people why they do it, the most common answer is, "for the energy and the people. It's so exciting and the people you meet along the way are just great". It is a sight to behold. And, as I said previously, all of this occurs without incident. In fact, in all of the years that I've been covering this event, I've NEVER seen anyone arrested or even detained. Spectacular.

As a New Yawker, I feel compelled to say that this could only happen here. L.A.? Too narcissistic. Chicago? Too small. Miami? Too vain. Only in NYC could you stage the largest party in the WORLD for the WORLD. Times Square on New Years Eve is truly the center of the UNIVERSE. And one has to be there, at least once in their lifetime to experience and, therefore, understand that.

In closing, I have to say, that like Mardi Gras, I'm not sure that anyone really needs to do it more than once - as much fun as it is, it is still a BIG challenge to be there. If I didn't HAVE to be there and get the great access that I do, I'm not sure that I would again. However, if you have a "bucket list", I might consider adding this to it. It's one of things that has to experienced "live" to be truly felt and understood.

5 comments:

  1. Can you believe in all the years I lived there I never went to Times Square on New Years? I'll add it to my list after I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! And, if I can, I'll try to get you on the main stage. It's pretty awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, by the way, most New Yawkers do not attend. There are 999,999 tourists out of the million who are there. It's not for the faint of heart. But in the many interviews that I have done there, I have NEVER heard ANYONE say they regretted it. Strange, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Nancy, I too have never gone. I am sure it is loads of fun and it was just a short train ride from Brooklyn (YAY Brooklyn) but cold, crowded and busy, hmmmm, not my idea of fun. The pics are awesome and they make you want to be there so STOP TAKING SUCH GREAT SHOTS!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very lucky because of my access. If I wasn't situated right in the center of the action, with the ability of moving around, I'm not sure if I would have done it either.

    Also, I will eventually place some of my writings on spending summers at my grandmother's house on Ave W in Brooklyn on the blog. Look for them soon

    ReplyDelete