Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brain Droppings: On Passion

Before you read the body of this entry, take four minutes to view and listen to this clip by going to this website: www.stjepanhauset.com/smooth criminal. It's the duo of Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic using their cellos to play Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal with amazing effect. In fact, I found it spectacular! (note: the file is too large to attach here).

OK. Come on back! First, Smooth Criminal is by far my favorite Jackson song (and video). Although I'm not a huge fan of all of his music, whenever I hear that tune, I take the time to listen to the entire song if I can. Second, the skill of the two players is without parallel. It is a marvel to watch them wield their instruments as if they were extensions of their very bodies. With just 2, non-amplified, "classical" instruments, they carry a complex, modern rhythm to dizzying heights. It left me breathless.

But what I noticed most was the passion that each man attacked the melody. And I think that the word attacked is most accurate in this case. Each man's fingers fly over their instruments, producing imaginary sparks in my brain. They caress, squeeze and manhandle them as if they were lovers engaging in rough, but fulfilling sex. Their faces even contort into what my wife calls their fuck faces i.e. what most of us look like at the moment of our most intense passion. How could it, or SHOULD it, be any other way?

In my mind, in order to create the things of the highest art, they must be done with the greatest degree of passion. And when I say "art" I don't mean just things done just with a paint brush and canvas, an instrument, a camera, a pen, or any other object associated with the so-called creative fields. No. I mean life. We have to approach everything worth doing with the same passion exhibited by these two talented young men. Their passion for their work is obvious and it produces obvious results i.e. greatness.

We need to incorporate that emotion into our everyday activities. We must dedicate ourselves to pursuing passion in all of our endeavors. We must be passionate about our families, our friends and lovers, our work, and our LIVES. Imagine how full our day would be if we could instill just some of the energy created by the passion of Messrs. Hauser and Sulic? It would be pretty cool - just like Smooth Criminal.

Special thanks to Bob Krist for turning me on to this special performance.

www.stjepanhauser.com


4 comments:

  1. Awesome...Those guys did great.
    Love MJ! After he passed Eric (12) was really into his music. One day I was reprimanding Eric,and all of a sudden he busted a MJ dance move. All I could do is laugh...

    MJ just sooo talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird dude, GREAT artist. I spent 2 weeks in LA covering his memorial service. I even spent a few days at the Neverland Ranch. He had it all. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was truly amazing, I enjoyed it greatly. Passion is one thing missing from most peoples everyday life for sure. I am happy to say not from mine. For this reason I am often misunderstood so I ALMOST understand peoples even-keeled approach to things. ALMOST! Why are we meant to feel ashamed for being passionate about anything? I think it means you care. What the hell is so bad about caring. And enjoying. Live every day with a 'fuck face' on your face and enjoy it as such. Well, we should, shouldn't we?

    ReplyDelete