Friday, January 14, 2011

Today's Douche of the Day: Sarah Palin



Today's Douche of the Day (DOTD) is a no-brainer (nod, nod, wink, wink), Sarah Palin. Like Glenn Beck, Palin is an easy choice and is definitely in the running for Douche of the Year. She was chosen today her fiery, borderline violent, rhetoric in the days before and after the killings in Tuscon AND for her plans to deliver the keynote speech at the Safari Club International 2011 Convention Jan. 26-29 in Reno Nevada. Safari Club International describes itself as "the Leader in Protecting the Freedom to Hunt and Promoting Wildlife Worldwide".

Palin is typical of people who live within the so-called gun culture that is so pervasive and divisive in our society today. Don't you dare get between them and their guns! They continue to site the 2nd Amendment (the "right to bare arms") in defense of their position. In fact, it is said that Palin intends to address this issue during her keynote speech at the Safari Club. This is a very involved topic that I do not intend to address in any great detail here.

What I'd rather discuss is her position on hunting. As with ALL hunters, Palin insists that responsible hunters (she claims MOST hunters) practice good, safe hunting techniques that only aid wildlife and conservation. She also says that hunting is part of the fabric of, not only American life, but human life. This may be the case but it doesn't address the central issue: is hunting, as it is practiced today, truly effective, responsible, and sustainable. I say NO! It is not natural or sustainable.

As a biology student in college, I did a great deal of study in the field of evolution. A strong tenant of evolution is natural selection. Another, simple and direct way of describing natural selection is survival of the fittest or "the law of the jungle". What this means within the truly natural world is this: predators (i.e. hunters) seek out the weakest in the herd for their prey. This accomplishes two things. First, the predators insure themselves a greater chance of a successful kill. Second, it benefits the entire herd by culling out the weaker animals so that only the strongest genes survive to breed, insuring the best gene pool and healthiest animals possible. THIS IS NATURE'S WAY.
But it is not the human predators' (i.e. hunters) way. When have you ever heard of a hunter who passed up a trophy buck to take a smaller, weaker animal? NEVER! When have you ever seen a hunting program on TV where the guide says, "oh, there's a weak animal, take that one"? NEVER! Even if a human hunter hunts for sustenance, he always takes the larger, healthier animal.

And we haven't even discussed the tremendous advances made in weapons, high-powered scopes, and other, modern hunting technologies that allow hunters to take strong, healthy animals from great distances. Some will say, "what about bow hunting"? Well, have you seen a modern, compound bow?! No, them critters have NO chance with today's firepower.

So, Palin will blab on about her rights as an American, how hunting is natural and American and that "guns don't kill people, people kill people". And she'll be sweet and sassy, like she always is. And the sell-out crowd will cheer and gush as they always do. And she'll pull the wool over their eyes like she always does.

So, congratulations to Sarah Palin for being named today's DOTD! It won't be the last time! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I expected your rant to be about her speech this week and instead its about hunting. I always had a liberals viewpoint on hunting - that its really not a sport. When I moved out here I was exposed to people who hunted all of their lives and its a big part of the fabric of the wild west. So, I tried to be flexible and accept it without judging the hunters.

    Now, you present this new argument into my 'sights' and my pea-brain is struggling to wrap itself around it. As a critter-lover, your argument goes right to the core of what I believe. And I was a vegetarian for 13 years and moving back in that direction. But I'm not invested in being politically correct. I wear leather. I still eat meat. So without being hypocritical, how best to align these opposing beliefs? Just rambling but curious about how others see it.

    -N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course I knew that I could count on you, my Nanc, for insightful comments. I think I can address them.

    First, I have tried to avoid the VERY obvious in my choices for DOTD. Like Beck, Palin can be such and easy target. People think that my POV is so skewed to the left that I never give these two a fair chance. But that's really not it at all. I can RESPECT an "opponent" (for lack of a better word) who presents their case well, with logic, passion, and COMPASSION. I do sense some passion in them but they sorely LACK in the other two. I see them as insincere charlatans whose ultimate goal is self-promotion. So, I couldn't HELP but choose them. But with Palin, I tried to at least stay away from the obvious "reason" for it.

    As for the hunting "thing". I should make it clear that I am not anti-hunting per se. Hunting is an ancient art that may be very well part of our DNA. We are, generally, omniverous (sp) as animals and, so, our diet includes meat. That meat must come from some where. Now, people are thinking beings who can make choices based on more sublime and esoteric concepts like the choice you made: i.e. to be a vegetarian. Although I have thought about becoming one for various reasons, I have not made that leap. I eat meat, but try to keep it in moderation and eat organically. I also wear leather when necessary but, again, limit it to what is "essential".

    So, in good conscience, I could not be anti-hunting. However, what I am against is modern hunting practices. From my experience, the hunters that I know, most of whom practice good, safe hunting technique, still do not practice true, NATURAL, ECOLOGICAL hunting which is to cull the herd by taking the weakest animals. It's just not done. In fact, it's never even talked about because people take it for others wanting to take away their guns. God forbid!! But that's a story for another day. :)

    Hope this give you another POV. Share more thoughts, there's always more where that came from!!

    ReplyDelete