Friday, August 19, 2011

Brain Droppings



There are many reasons why I chose The Incredible Hulk as my alter ego. I have written about it in a past blog entry. But, for this entry, I want to evoke him for a very particular reason; to represent my enormous ego. Yes, it's about as big and fierce as the Hulk himself. I have a strong sense of who I am, what I am, what I'm good at, what I'm not so good at, and, in general, my place in the world. It allows me to write this blog. I put my opinions, my dreams, my hopes, and fears, my desires, and my very being into these entries. Without such a strong ego, this would not be possible. You guys would eat me alive!! It allows me to be totally honest, sometimes brutally so. If I didn't have such a strong sense of self, I would not be able to have such strong opinions.


Still, even with that said, I really ultimately remain very grounded. And I have some inspiration that keeps me there. One source of that grounding inspiration is a letter I received from a viewer, back when I used to host a "live" sports call-in program. It came in an envelope with no return address. Inside, it contained a simple, hand-written note that said: whoever said that a fat, disgusting slob with bad teeth could be on television. Just that and nothing more. Now, if there had been a return address, this is what my response would have been: Hey, I'm not fat!


Whenever I need a good dose of grounding reality, I pull out that fan letter and read it again. Thank god for a HEALTHY EGO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment