Monday, August 15, 2011

Missing Rex


Last Friday, my stepson's girlfriend, Dana, came to the house to claim his dog Rex. Jarod got Rex from a pound, against my better judgement (I LOVE dogs - just didn't want to take care of one at that time!), about 3 or 4 years ago. He was big (a yellow lab), wild, untrained, and had a wicked case of anxiety (the poor guy had already been returned to the shelter 2 times previously). In other words, he was a HANDFUL!! Beyond the obvious issues caused by his returns to the shelter, we always felt that Rex was a "special" dog, too. He would ride the small yellow bus! In the beginning, I have to admit, he was not very "special" to me. Quite frankly, I felt that he was more trouble then he was worth. I've had dogs most of my life and I understand what they are about. Rex just had to learn to understand what I was about! I truly love animals, especially dogs, but I don't anthropomorphise them. They are just fine being dogs and that's a specific role. I'm the Alpha and the quicker they learn that, the better it is for me AND them. I give them tons of freedom when I know that I can trust them to not hurt themselves or others. So, I'm kind of a strict disciplinarian.

Well, over the course of the 3 or 4 years, we really got to know one another, respect one another, and love one another. In a word, we were "buds". But Jarod and Dana were growing, too. Jarod, who lived with us, and Dana who had her own place, decided it was time to movie in together. With the housing market providing great deals for buyers, we encouraged them to buy. And they did! They found a great, two bedroom house in a really nice part of South River, NJ. We think it's just great. We discussed joint custody of Rex, but Jarod wants him to be a full time part of his life. He also thinks it better for the dog to have that kind of consistency (he may be right!). So, Dana came for him last Friday so they could start their new lives together.

I have to say, that for as much work as he was, I miss him terribly! I took him with me everywhere I could. Even if it was to just walk the garbage to the curb, Rexie went with me. He became a DAMNED GOOD DOG. Now, there is a void. It's just too damned quiet around here without that big pain in the ass!!

Anyway, I went down to visit Jarod, Dana and, of course, THE BIG DUMB YELLOW DOG. The house is almost completely repainted and they are moving their things in, little by little. It's starting to look like THEIR house. And Rex was right there, right at home, looking happy and healthy (although LARGE as ever - he's not fat. He's big boned LOL). What a nice little family. I can rest easy now. ALL of them are at a good place. And I can visit any time I want. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment