Thursday, December 1, 2011

Social Commentary: On Greed


As human beings, we are endowed with the ability to feel. That is, we attach certain qualitative principles to all of our actions. And we call them emotions. Because of the size of our brain and by the very complexity of it's unmatched ability to think and to reason, human beings are distinguished from all other animals in the range of emotions that we feel. The "better angels of our nature" include the emotions of love, compassion, empathy, sympathy, passion (a.k.a virtues), and many more. ALL humans (except, perhaps, Ann Coulter and psychopaths LOL!) have the ability to feel these things. Of course, to be completely human is to also acknowledge our "darker" emotions of anger, hate, jealousy, greed, and more. It's the last two mentioned, jealousy and greed, that I would like to address today.

Webster's Dictionary defines jealous as: adj. 1. demanding of complete devotion 2. suspicious of a rival or of one believed to have an advantage. Jealousy is, of course, the adverb with the same meaning. If I may be so bold (pun intended), I would like to add my own, additional definition: to be desirous of anothers good fortune and prosperity. Greed is defined as: n. acquisitive or selfish beyond reason. Greedy is the adverb. If love is our greatest virtue then, in my eyes, jealousy and greed are the most base. And between the two of these, greed is the lowest of human emotion.

As humans its important that we understand the full range of our emotions. We see evidence everyday of our sublime ability to reach the pinnacle of our existence through acts of love, giving, and sacrifice. But we also see our ability to reach the lowest lows through violence and intolerance. To experience and acknowledge ALL of these things is to be truly human. But if we are to reach a higher ground, a level of spiritual awareness where we live fully with (and within) our virtues and less and less with our dark side, then we most come to a fuller understanding of these emotions. And in my effort to understand this range of emotion, I grasp most on at least some level, except for greed. I will freely admit that I have spent my share on the so-called dark sided of our emotions. I have been angry (too often), mean spirited (not so often), and, yes, jealous. I have to be honest and admit that there have been times in my life that I have been desirous of the success of others in a way that has not always been healthy. I think that's it's fair to say that ALL of us have experienced that feeling of "why him - why not me"? So, as long as I'm aware that I'm being "infected" by that way of thinking, I cut myself a break. After all, I am HUMAN. However, also in complete honesty, I have never been greedy. I guess that I'm proud to say that because I see a strong distinction between the two words. To me, one way of understanding the difference is to see it this way: when you are jealous you desire SOMETHING that may not be yours at that moment. However, when you are greedy, you desire EVERYTHING at all times. And this I will simply never understand. I certainly want my share of the pie. But, just as certainly, I don't want yours, too!

I never intended this posting to be an affirmation of Occupy Wall St. I've probable written too much on that subject already. However, as I did mention in a previous post regarding OWS, it's an evolving story and, therefore, one that will not easily go away. And good for them! Too many people are still not hearing the message. The protesters and supporters of OWS are fighting the greed that's so pervasive in our society. It's everywhere. We are constantly reminded that the so-called 1% still hold the power to "cut the pie". And, in a greedy society, they don't even bother to cut it. They eat the whole thing and leave us to squabble over the crumbs.

But I don't want to go completely off message, either. I also don't want to make this an indictment of the wealthy. There ARE many, thoughtful, giving people of means. However, I would ask everyone, especially in the season supposed to be about giving, to be less greedy - the least desirable of all our emotions. And by this I mean not in just asking for fewer gifts, but by being truly generous by giving more of yourself to everyone; to your family, to your friends, and to everyone you meet. Don't be greedy and hoard your wealth, or yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment