Friday, December 30, 2011

Tales From The Heartland II




The more I look, listen, and learn here in Des Moines the greater the contrast between liberal and conservative becomes for me. Look, I know that many of you want to resist labels like liberal and conservative. I agree. I attempt to resist labeling or BEING labeled. Another journalist friend also raised the very valid point that he wasn't ALL liberal or ALL conservative, but rather a combination of both. However, for argument's sake it helps to create useful platforms for which to choose from one political candidate or another, one politcal party from another.


And nothing can crystalize that more than the vigorous campaign for the looming Iowa Caucus. I have been barraged by a slew of GOP ads and related news stories while here in Iowa. And the most common theme within ALL of the candidates' message is Conservative Values. Obviously, winning the conservative base, espcecially here, is of ultimate importance. It has also become clear to me, that despite my reluctance to labeling, I have VERY little in common with the GOP conservative message and, therefore, by default, must declare myself a liberal. Certainly, my thought process leans me far more to the so-called left (very fitting since I am even LEFT-HANDED LOL) then the so-called right message (talk about an oxymoron) this current crop of Republican candidates is spewing! Simply put, what they're touting is a narrow-minded vision of what America should look like, think like, and act like. They talk about "rugged individualism" (Rick Perry) or "an outsiders perspective" (Ron Paul) but, from my POV, they mean neither. They want America to be like them: wealthy, older, and white. Well, quite frankly, that is not my vision of America. I don't look them, act like them, or think like them. So, ultimately I WILL NOT VOTE FOR THEM.


More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment