Monday, January 23, 2012

Brain Droppings: Run Silent. Run Deep.


For many reasons that I prefer not to divulge at this moment, I am feeling rather Shakespearean. His great tragedy, Hamlet, and this brilliant, but often parodied, soliloquy particularly comes to mind: To be, or not to be: That is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them . . .

Of course, in the scene we understand that Hamlet is struggling with the question of facing a tough situation head on, knowing that it will be most trying, or run from it in the ultimate sense by committing suicide. As thousands have before me, if you replace the to be, or not to be part, with something less ominous, you remove the specter of suicide and can interject new meaning. So, with that said, I'd like to replace to be, or not to be with to write or not to write.

I knew what I was getting into when I started this blog and was not intimidated. That has not changed. But it's also a difficult thing to do. It takes a lot of time and it takes a lot of energy, especially emotional energy. I put so much of myself into these things that it can be easy to be left feeling vulnerable - at least from time to time!! And, also from time to time, it's necessary for me to take some of that passion and emotion and focus them inwardly, back towards me. I think that now is one of those times. I think that I'll take a break from writing for a bit. So, I'll leave all with still another of my endless variety of hackneyed phrases and worn out cliches:

It's time to Run silent. Run deep.


Don't worry, I'll be back soon. My egos too big not to be!! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment