Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Social Commentary: The GOP - A Clear Path?


I have to admit that I was forced to watch the Fox News sponsored GOP Debate from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina last night. My job responsibilities required that I watch it. I had not planned to for two reasons: First, since I work in the News business and have just came off 3 grueling weeks of fear and loathing on the campaign trail, I am suffering from what I like to call news/information fatigue or disorder. It is not unlike PTSD in so far as one becoming so inundated with stressful situations and frightening images that one's mind begins to, in a sense, shut down in order to cope. The only way to recover is to create as complete a news blackout as is possible. Of course, BEING in the news business, that's impossible. However, when I can avoid it, I do. Second, at this point, I don't believe that ANY of the Republican Candidates have ANYTHING more to offer to me than when they first declared their candidacies. In fact, they have retrogressed in my eyes. And last night's debate brought that into sharp focus.


IMHO, they are all just so full of shit! Every one of them. Yes, Ron Paul, too. The stage wreaked of hypocrisy. And they were down right biblical in so many of their answers. I was waiting for one of the candidates (ANY one of them) to call for fire and brimstone to brought down upon our enemies. It was OLD TESTAMENT vengeance to any and all enemies of the State. There was JOY in the idea of vanquishing our enemies. I believe that I could actually see blood in the eyes of some of them. And, for me, here is where the hypocrisy kicks in. ALL of them talk incessantly about Christian Values and how Christ is their personal savior. Then, in the very next breath, they talk gleefully about annihilating our enemies. And I mean Old Testament style. And the crowd went crazy every time one of them spoke that way. What ever happened to What Would Jesus Do? What ever happened to turn the other cheek? Vengeance is mine, saith the lord? This was all an eye for an eye and we'll get BOTH of yours!! Look, I believe in a person's AND a country's right to defend themselves. I am not weak. WE are not weak. But are THEY the Christian values they speak of - all of the time? It was bellicose, morally repulsive, and, to me, it was frightening.



Then there is the issue of their platform of Less Government. I think that most of us actually agree on this point. Government is, indeed, too large AND too intrusive. Power must be returned to the people. The GOP Candidates continually attempt to drive this message home by talking about freedom to pursue happiness through hard work and success through business. You know, the "I'll teach you how to fish routine". What it ultimate means is, if elected, they will allow their cronies in big business to run rough-shod over the workers of this country. The rich will make it big and the crumbs will filter down. That's not fantasy or rhetoric, it's REAGANOMICS!



And then we get to the social issue of their so-called Less Government. They say that the government has no right to infringe on our personal liberties like the right to bare arms. Don't you dare take our guns away! OK. We get it. But, then they want to ADD governmental legislation that would limit personal freedom AND add layers of bureaucracy by banning a woman's right to choose or a persons right to marry whomever they choose!! It's hypocrisy at it's finest - worst?



The thing that I can be thankful for after enduring such an ordeal is the fact that my opinion has been solidified: these people, ALL of them, are just plain wrong for our country. My choice is clear - and it certainly ain't one of them!

1 comment:

  1. Ditto Frank.. The conservatives. Talk about protecting the rights of the people...then they want to vote for legislation that puts censorship control of the internet in the hands of a few corporations. They say its not the Governments responsibility tl ensure its citizens have affordable healthcare. Then who should the corporations that only would cover Medicare recipients at a 15% surcharge. People need to wake up. There is a power struggle going on. Corporations are not people.

    ReplyDelete