Friday, July 13, 2012

Today's Moment of Zen 7/13/12

photo: google / words: F LoBuono

For me, those magic, little moments happen at the most unexpected and, therefore, the most opportune times. Yesterday happened to be one of them. There has been quite a bit of emotional upheaval in my life recently.  And, like most people, that means that I have good days and bad.  Yesterday was one of the bad.  No matter how I tried, how much I meditated, how much I tried to look on the bright side, I just couldn't seem to pull myself out of that funk.  Well, I couldn't quit trying - failure is not an option.  So, I decided to ride my motorcycle to work.  It was a warm, beautiful summer day and riding has a tendency to free my spirit and take my mind off my woes, at least for the duration of the ride. When riding, it's important to become one with the machine.  First, it's the safe thing to do. You MUST be aware of everything around you.  Plus, that helps you to take your mind off the things that may be troubling you.  It seemed to be working well enough. We were humming along, the motorcycle performing perfectly, the sun strong, the sky blue and virtually cloudless, the road clear of traffic.  Perfect.  It certainly helped. However, still, in the back of my mind, I couldn't entirely stop thinking about my troubles.  Then, it appeared.  From the trees that line each side of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, a large bird flew out of the thicket and soared directly above me.  There was no mistaking what it was: a Red Tail Hawk. They are very distinct is size, shape and markings.  It's hard to miss their bright white breast and vibrant red tail.  And she was right above me. Normally, they just fly over the road from one side of the highway to the forested median that separates the north and southbound lanes.  But not this time.  Instead, she flew right above me and just ahead for a good distance - I would estimate it was about 100 yards before she disappeared back into the trees.

For those few seconds my heart soared just like that hawk!  I have previously written on this blog that Red Tails must be one of my familiars (i.e. a spirit guide, usually in the form of an animal).  I see them often, particularly along the Palisades, which provide a perfect habitat for them.  No matter how often I encounter them, it is always special and never fails to make me smile.  Certainly, this was no exception.  In fact, it was even beyond my normal experience with seeing one.  The fact that she was leading me forward struck me as more than mere coincidence; it was a message.  It was if she was showing me the way. And that way was forward - straight ahead.  We must always look forward, to the future, and not dwell on the past.  It's OK to reminisce  but success lies in moving forward.

For that brief moment, all troubles were forgotten, replaced with the comfort of knowing that, if we keep our hearts true, and we continue to progress, all will be well with you and the world.  It was a simple thing, but, at the same time, profound.  And the older I get, the more I realize that, indeed, the simplest things ARE the most profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment