Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Today's MOZEN: It's a Matter of the Mind.

Words and photo by F LoBuono

Perhaps, you remember the story. I posted it a few months back. It's true.

On one of my frequent sojourns into my little village of Nyack, NY, I noticed something at one of the bus stops that I pass along my route. It's a well manicured stop with a couple of nice benches to wait on. It's also lined by a handsome stone wall. On one of the lower ledges of the wall, I noticed something peculiar; there was a bunch of canned food stacked there. They were simple things -string beans, corn, and the like. It couldn't have cost more than a few bucks. According to the way they were left, I didn't get the impression that they were forgotten. Rather, it appeared to me that they were left - deliberately - for someone to take home. There was no note, no instructions, no desire for credit. It was a selfless act of kindness. It was as sublime as it is magnificent. Whomever needed them most should have them.

As I continue my habit of strolling into town, I still pass the same bus stop. Periodically, when I remember to, I'll look at the spot where I first saw the cans of food. Most often, it is empty. But, now and again, as it was the other night, the cans appear!! It's always the same: a few cans of inexpensive food. There is no note, no instruction - just a simple, selfless act of kindness.

In these most trying times, I believe that it is more important than ever to capture the mindset of this person/persons who practice these selfless acts of kindness. It is through this thinking - one of open mind and heart that will win the war on terror. All the bombs and bullets in the world cannot do more than the power of love. When we incorporate this into our everyday thinking, our lives, and the world, will improve.

Now, before those more "hawkish" than I go off telling me how nonsensical that sounds. My head will be the first to fly under an ISIS knife. As I've said before, please don't mistake compassion for weakness. Compassion and fierce strength are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they are most complimentary. As a matter of personal experience, all of the toughest men that I have met in my life were quite often the most gentle, too. They had no fear.

So, make NO mistake; the thugs who call themselves ISIS must be stopped. And, apparently, the only way to do it is with the force of arms. A coalition of nations must form to annihilate this threat. There seems to be no other option. I support that option.

What I am writing about here, and expressed by gesture at the bus stop, is that our minds must ALWAYS return to compassion. Everything that we do in our daily lives MUST be tempered with it. If we do not, if we can't or won't, we cannot distinguish ourselves from the very ones we are fighting. The whole point of TERROR is to get into the enemies head. When they do, they have one.

I simply will not allow that to happen.

I think the next time that I see the cans at the bus stop, I'm going quick stop market on the next corner and get a few more cans to add to the stack. Will you do the same?






No comments:

Post a Comment