Friday, September 2, 2016

Today's MOZEN: Buck Fever

F LoBuono
People often ask me, what exactly does MOZEN mean? Well, it's acronym for Moment of Zen i.e. a distinct period of time that defines an enlightening moment. Comedian John Stewart popularized the phrase during his days as host of The Daily Show. I consolidated it to use for my own purposes.

Frequently, I use the term to to express rather esoteric, complex concepts. However, from time to time, it most simply is what it is, i.e. one, brief moment when everything seems to come together perfectly.

Tonight was a classic example.

I left my apartment just before 11 pm to make it in for my midnight shift. The first part of the trip involves traveling on Rte. 9W, still a rather rural road that runs along the Palisades, high above the Hudson. It remains one of my favorite paths. However, one of the things that makes is so appealing can also make it treacherous. Because it maintains its rural character, it is frequently transversed by deer. It is not unusual to see them, especially during the night hours, browsing along the side of the road. Unfortunately, from time to time, it is also possible to see one, or what's left of the unfortunate soul, splattered ON it. So, I use extra caution when driving there at night.

I was traveling the normal speed, about 45 mph, when I caught him out of the corner of my eye. He was on the right side, standing on a slight incline just off the highway. My headlights illuminated him clearly and what I say took my breath away! It was a full-grown buck at the height of his powers. He was close enough and illuminated sufficiently so that I could see his magnificent antlers. He had to be a 14 pointer. His rack was hardened and sharpened in preparation for the battles the fall rut would bring. I could see the muscles bulging from his massive neck and shoulders. THIS was an alpha male!

It couldn't have been more than 10 or 15 seconds from the time I first glimpsed him until I had sped by. But, it was enough for me to admire what a specimen he was. And, as crazy as it might sound, he seemed to be watching me, too. As my car got closer, he looked at me for a brief second, turned and jumped away from the road. Obviously, he had been around long enough to grow to that magnificent state. And, that means learning to avoid cars.

And, you can't get more MOZEN than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment