Friday, December 16, 2016

Today's MOZEN: They Deserve One Another.

F LoBuono

Of the hundreds of interviews I have been involved with as either a producer, correspondent, or photographer, there is one that sticks out in my mind as simply the worst EVER: Kanye West.

Period.

A few years back, just as he was becoming a "mega star", a CBS News producer and I (I was shooting) were scheduled to meet with West for an interview at his suite of rooms at The Mandarin Hotel at Columbus Circle in New York. I remember the room being crowded with dozens of sycophants and other hangers-on.There was barely enough room to set up my gear. Eventually, as he finally entered the room, West's minions were so impressed by his presence that they almost gasped. He took his seat and the interview began without further drama.

After a few minutes of informal banter, the producer asked Mr. West who some of his early influences might have been. Without hesitation, this was his response (paraphrasing):

I really haven't had any influences. I see my myself and my work as totally unique. There really has never been anyone quite like me.

Really.

And, the interview continued in that vein - each comment more arrogant than the last. I have never experienced a person more full of themselves than Kanye West. But, then again, even though I have photographed him, I have never actually met Donald Trump.

Now, Kanye is currying favor with this Giant of Self-inflated Importance, the President-elect himself.

All I can say is that they deserve one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment