Tuesday, May 23, 2017

When You Think About It: Manchester

F LoBuono

First, and foremost, let me say this: I strongly condemn the recent attack in Manchester, England. The loss of life fills me with a deep sorrow. It should be noted that I abhor VIOLENCE IN ALL ITS FORMS AND BY ALL WHO PERPETRATE IT.

With this in mind, I ask people to remember that NOTHING happens in a vacuum. It's easy to call the bomber(s) a monster, evil, and a cowardly "loser". All of those pejoratives, and more, are applicable. Still, we look for answers as to why these things still happen - the right answers.

Well, here's what I think. It's pretty simple (this in NO WAY CONDONES what happened):

Violence begets more violence. We bomb our adversaries with so-called precision air strikes that, no matter how precise, indiscriminately kill innocent women and children. It happens ALL OF THE TIME in Syria. So, with that in mind, THEY in turn attack and kill OUR innocents. And, as we use every means at our disposal to attack "them", they, again, in turn, do the same.

What I ask people to consider is that violence ONLY creates an endless cycle of more violence, more death, and more suffering - for EVERYONE who is involved regardless of the religion or ideology.

So, when you think about it, not matter how trite it may sound, we've just got to find another way. More violence is NOT the answer.

In the meantime, I mourn . . .

PEACE.




No comments:

Post a Comment