Sunday, June 11, 2017

Today's MOZEN: Nyack Pride

Words an photos by F LoBuono

Today was Pride Day in my adopted village of Nyack, NY. And, as usual, I couldn't be more proud. Once again, we have celebrated our diversity in grand fashion. I ran into a friend at the festivities who was born in the UK but has CHOSEN to make his home in Nyack - as he has for nearly 30 years. Both of us agreed that it was events like this one that truly make our adopted home a very special place, indeed.

I'm sure that there are those who are actually revolted by the very thought of Gay Pride, much less the celebration of it. Most of these people do so on so-called religious grounds. While I respect their right to worship how they choose, I've never understood it. Never.

Since I was raised as a Catholic, let me address it from a Christian perspective. I know that there are biblical passages that supposedly condemn homosexuality as an abomination (You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. NKJ, Leviticus 18:20. And, If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them. NKJ, Leviticus 20:13).

That's some pretty serious shit. However, these passage are from the OLD TESTAMENT.

But, there was an awakening in the Christian world brought about by the teachings of one Jesus, the Christ. His words redefined what it means to be a Christian. And, whether you believe in his divinity or not, the most important words uttered by Jesus came from his Sermon on the Mount when, in the Beatitudes, he gave us the path to live a righteous life. The most important lesson to take away from this sermon is that Jesus ultimately said, and the greatest of these is LOVE.

Folks, it doesn't got any more simple than that: the greatest of these is LOVE.

Love is love is love.

And, I'm not sure why people are afraid of it. Homosexuality never bothered me. Never. Even as a kid and didn't fully understand, it simply never affected me in a negative way. I'm sure that my parents played a key role here too because it never bothered them either!

And, talk about SIMPLE. How easy is it to NOT worry about how someone chooses to live their own lives and simply concentrate on your own??? I don't know about you guys, but I have enough issues in my own life and relationships to not worry about someone else's!!

So, congratulations to all who participated - gay or not. Life and love is ALWAYS a reason to celebrate.





No comments:

Post a Comment