Friday, October 6, 2017

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: A Chance Encounter

F LoBuono

He stands, smoking, with his back resting against the old steel railing that lines that section of South Broadway. He looks like he should be a member of a Southern rock band. Perhaps, he is. He wears his grey hair in a tight, neat ponytail. A droopy, fu manchu style mustache graces his otherwise clean-shaven face. He always dresses neatly in a perfectly pressed oxford print shirt and crisp jeans.

My dog Rexie and I pass him regularly on our frequent sojourns from by apartment and into the village. He always takes time in between drags on his cigarette to give us a smile and proper greeting. We return the pleasantries. But, we have never gone any further. I don't even know his name.

However, this day was different. It was a spectacular, early fall afternoon when I decided to take Rexie for a walk into town. Our friend was in his usually spot, toking on his cigarette when we approached.

Lovely day, I said.

Sure is, he responded.

I added, if we want weather like this everyday, we might have to move to San Diego.

Then he said, yeah, that's true. But, then you wouldn't get the Winter. THIS is the best place to live - because it has everything.

I had the feeling that he was talking about more than just the weather.

I paused for a moment, smiled. and replied, you're right my friend. I guess that's why we've chosen to live here.

He nodded and smiled in return. And, then we continued on our way.



1 comment: