Sunday, October 29, 2017

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: Like No Other

Words and photos by F LoBuono

You couldn't miss them. At least, I couldn't. It was a young family; husband, wife, and a toddler who was maybe 2 or 3 years-old. The reason they stood out was that the whole family was dressed as Captain America - dad was wearing the official version, the wife a female facsimile, and the baby was in his own mini version. Obviously, they were heading for the annual Nyack Halloween Parade.

As I approached them on South Broadway, the woman was lining up dad and baby for a photo. I quickly crossed the street and said to her: "I'll make you a deal. If you let me make a photo of the 3 of you with my camera, I'll make one of all of you with your camera". With a brogue as thick as an Irish morning's mist, she responded: "oh, sir, that would be grand"! She then introduced me to her husband, Sean, and her infant son, Liam. Yep, the Captain America Family was as Irish as that day was long. Only in Nyack!!

I made the photos for them and me and then asked, "have you ever been to the parade before"? She respond that they hadn't but were very excited to attend. I assured them that THIS was the best America had to offer and they would see why soon enough.


Later, during the parade, I saw them proudly marching up Broadway. They were now officially part of the diverse fabric of a community that we call The Nyacks. It's like no other . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment