Saturday, January 6, 2018

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: Yada, Yada, Yada

F LoBuono

While taking one of my frequent sojourns into town, I was stopped by 2 men who, bless their hearts, recognized me from my days as a local TV personality. It was reasonable to assume by their dress and over-all demeanor that I could characterize them as working men. They seemed generally thrilled to have recognized me. I'm always mildly shocked that people still remember my work from over 25 years ago but also pleased and honored that they do.

We made small talk with the 2 asking what I have been doing for the last 25 years. Eventually, the conversation wound to politics. It was near the end of the summer of 2017 and, so, the Presidential election was looming. Naturally, they asked me whom I would be supporting. I try to avoid answering that question so directly to strangers and in such a public setting - discretion being the better of part of valor. Instead, I turned the tables and asked them the same question. Considering their backgrounds and the growing support among the working class for Donald J. Trump, I was not surprised that they, too, were supporting him.

It's no secret that I am not a supporter of Mr. Trump, nor have I ever been. But, rather than disparage them for their choice, I attempted to engage them as to why. I asked two questions:

Have you ever made fun of a disabled person? And, do you have friends that do?

Both answered in the negative, saying: Of course not!

In light of Mr. Trump's then recent mocking of a disabled report, my reply was immediate, simple, and honest: Why, then, do you support someone for President who does?

That's when the yada, yada, yada began . . .

Well, sure, he's not perfect.
And, we have to give a little to get a lot.
And, he says things like that because he's NOT a politician and we like that.
And, at least he's more honest that Hillary!

And, yada, yada, yada . . .

Sure, they were nice guys. I bet that they take good care of their families and love America, too. They ARE America.

But, when is enough, enough? How much bullying? How much lying?

For the life of me, I'll never understand how it got this far in the first place. If he exhibits behavior that is unacceptable in your own lives, why would you agree to follow him to begin with? It should never have gone past the disgraceful behavior he exhibited in mocking that reporter!

But, the damage is done. And, we are left to minimize it. To do so, we must remain vigilante and proactive! We must prevent this vain, banal, and bellicose man from destroying our way of life. There is no more time for yada, yada, yada. . .

RESIST - and, VOTE!!!


1 comment: