Monday, December 2, 2019

Today's MOSTLY TRUE STORY: Death Takes a Stroll.

F LoBuono
It was a perfect night for a walk - yeah, perfectly miserable. We were in the midst of a winter Nor'easter. You know, the ones where first it rains, then it snows, then it sleets, and than it does all three at the same time. In other words - not your night for a leisurely stroll into town.

But, I've never been one to let a little shitty weather keep me from a nice sojourn - especially once cabin fever sets it. And, I had a bad case of it. I actually had the last two days off and, for me and my insane work schedule, that's like an extended vacation. I needed to move.

So, I got the foul weather gear out and girded myself for a schlep downtown. I planted the image in my brain of a nice whiskey in a warm tavern at the end of my journey for any extra incentive that I might require.

With a stiff, northern, gale-force wind in my face, pelted by ice crystals, I kept my head down and trudged my way to the promised land. I had traveled about 3 or 4 blocks to the edge of town when my eye caught a figure coming in the opposite direction and across the street. When I looked more closely I had to do the proverbial double-take. It was a tall, thin figure, hooded, and covered in a full-length, black cape. He was also wearing a ghastly mask of a pure white punctuated by black as coal eyes and a mouth frozen in a scream. It was as if Death was taking a leisurely stroll.

When the figure noticed that I was watching, he extended his arm and hand and gave me a friendly wave, saying nothing. Then, never breaking stride, he continued on his way and, me, mine. All in a sojourn to my town - Nyack, NY. Doesn't surprise me at all. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment