Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Today's MOZEN: Live in the Light

F LoBuono
Recently, in addition to decorating a small Christmas tree, I lit my first Menorah for Chanukah (aka Hanukkah). Now, this might not be a big deal to most people, but it certainly is for me, and for two reasons:

1. I'm not Jewish
2. I'm not particularly religious

I was raised a Roman Catholic and even attended Parochial school for 9 years (K-8th grade). And, I was actively involved in that religion for most of that time, even serving as an Altar Boy for many years. So, I am well versed in the teachings of the Catholic Church. However, I have not practiced that form of religion (or, ANY for that matter) for most of my adult life.

The whole concept of a single, omnipotent being (a white-bearded man at that) pulling the strings for the entire universe just didn't square with me anymore. The idea of divinity, as practiced by the great religions, did not sit well with me, either. WHY must there be a Supreme Being? Isn't it enough that things simply are? The ritual and dogma became completely implausible for my rational mind. In fact, it was even more than that. The doctrine became so thick with preposterous tenets as to completely obscure what is the simplest of messages - and, one that I live by: LOVE conquers all. It is the most powerful force in the Universe. Without it, society would collapse and left to his own devices, man would perish, too. But, with LOVE anything is possible. This, I believe, is meant by the Biblical prophecy of The Word Made Flesh, i.e. the coming of The Christ.

Therefore, I keep it simple.

So, why then would I choose symbols so clearly associated with 2 of the world's great religions: A Christmas tree for Christianity and a Menorah for Judaism?

Because they symbolize the things that ARE important to me - LOVE and LIGHT.

Chanukah, also known as the Festival of Lights, commemorates the Jewish victory over the Syrians in Judea around the year 168 BC. In order to celebrate their triumph, Judah Maccabee, the leader of the Jewish revolt, ordered the Holy Temple to be rebuilt and an oil lamp lit to consecrate the altar. Even though the lamp had only enough oil to provide light for one day, it burned for 8 - hence the reference to light overcoming the darkness. The eight candle Menorah symbolizes this so-called miracle.

However, I don't need to know why the lamp burned for 8 days instead of 1. I'll leave that to the mystics and clerics. What I do relate to is the metaphor of adding more light to a dark world. The Jews were under the yoke of oppression, i.e. the blackness of tyranny. Freedom, then, is represented by the light, even if created by just a single lamp, that shines in the hearts of men.



So, now, I light a Menorah.

Decorating a Christmas tree is a Nordic tradition that has become the universal way for Christians to celebrate the birth of Jesus, the Christ. For true believers, it is the fulfillment of prophecy. God's only Son will be sent to the world to rid us of Original Sin (whatever that is). And, this is where I get lost in the dogma: there is the Trinity, the Virgin birth, Herod and the Innocents, and so on so forth. The tale has become so steeped in religious doctrine that it, again, fouls the message - The Christ, a.k.a. The Prince of Peace was sent to be a beacon, a light to a dark and violent world. Whether or not he was divine is irrelevant to me. It's the MESSAGE he brought that counts:


PEACE ON EARTH. GOOD WILL TO ALL MANKIND.

It couldn't be more simple. Let's keep it that way and simply live in the light of love.








No comments:

Post a Comment