Friday, February 21, 2020

Today's MOZEN: The Message

F LoBuono
It is estimated that there are about 4300 religions* in the world with Christianity being the largest, followed by Islam. So, it means a lot of things to a lot of people. For some, it means EVERYTHING.

I spent my formative years being well indoctrinated in the Roman Catholic version. I went to a parochial grammar school, attended church regularly, and even became an alter boy. Religion taught me many lessons, some of them even profound.

But, that was then. And, this is now.

I no longer subscribe to ANY organized religion. The thousands of rituals, rights, rules, and superstition simply became too much for me to bear. I felt like my karma had run over my dogma!

You see, I'm more interested in the message rather than the messenger. And, there have been many of those: Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Abraham, etc. They have come in various shapes, sizes, colors and cultures. All of them are considered divine in one way or another. However, I am also not interested in their divinity. It matters not to me. What is MOST important to me is their shared message of compassion over cruelty, generosity over greed, diligence over sloth, kindness over malice, awareness over neglect, joy over sorrow, perseverance over aversion, peace over discord, inclusion over discrimination, and most importantly, love over hate.

I have no issue with those who practice traditional religions in a traditional way, especially is it brings one to a place of peace. Because that's the purpose of spirituality - to bring peace and love to not only ourselves but those around us. And, any way you get there is just fine by me.

*https://www.quora.com/How-many-different-religions-are-there-in-the-world

No comments:

Post a Comment