Tuesday, February 4, 2020

WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT: The Silver Lining

F LoBuono
In my nearly 20 years with CBS News in New York, I have had the great privilege of being involved with 4 different Iowa Caucasus as a technician and photographer. In additional to the quality of the work, it gave me an insider's view of not only the political process on the highest levels, but allowed me exposure to a part of the Country that I may not have had the opportunity to otherwise explore. And, I was certainly there long enough to get a flavor for the people and place.

For the most part, I was restricted to Des Moines, Iowa's largest city. And, it's a nice, modern, little place. The State Capitol's gleaming dome, located on a hill overlooking the entire city, dominates the landscape. It's clean, the people accommodating and friendly. In an effort to keep the city relevant, the downtown area is dotted with high-end hotels (where the media, etc. stay) and a few hip bistros and bars. I remember getting my first taste of Templeton Rye, an excellent local whiskey, at one of the hotel bars there. But, the pace is certainly not near the frenetic one I deal with on virtually a daily basis in New York. 

However, I was also able to get out and explore the State just a bit, including a brief stay in Iowa City, home of the University. In doing so, I was able to see just how rural Iowa truly is. I remember marveling at the seemingly endless cornfields. In fact, it impressed upon me that there certainly seemed to be corn and hogs in Iowa than people. It sure didn't look like where I come from! I spent my years growing up between New Jersey, the 4th most diverse State in the Country,** and Brooklyn, NY where I could hear 5 or 6 different languages just walking two blocks on the Coney Island boardwalk.

Anyway, one of the things that I found both town and country had in common was an incredible lack of diversity, i.e. it's overwhelming white (just over 90% *). Even in the heart of their largest city, the black population was virtually none existent. Now, I have been in parts of the Country where forms of segregation are still practiced - minorities exist, but in their own place (Jim Crow lives - a story for another day). But, this was different. They just didn't seem to exist in any great quantity.

I always found it both brilliant AND odd that the Iowa Caucuses should foster such political importance. It's brilliant because it took a State that could easily be overlooked politically (the winner still only gets 41 delegates), and, using an quaint election system (the caucus) and good timing, thrust themselves into the limelight of both National and International political communities.

But, it's also odd to me because it IS Iowa, and Iowa, in my opinion, does NOT reflect that image of the great majority of this Country. Now, that is not to say it is of no importance, but rather to give it it's rightful place - and, that ain't at the top.

So, WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, perhaps The Silver Lining of the incredibly awkward bungling of the results from last night's (2/3/2020) Iowa Caucus by the Democratic Party, will serve as a wake up call that, if they want to be the party of the people, they'd better start by looking like it. Failure, in no longer an option.

BE the Party of the People - or, don't. And, just like what happened with Trump, you will get what you pay for . . .


*https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/IA
**https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/most-diverse-states-in-the-US-2019-wallethub

No comments:

Post a Comment