Thursday, March 24, 2011

Social Commentary: Elizabeth Taylor


Friends. Romans. Countrymen. Lend me your ears! I come to bury Elizabeth Taylor, not to praise her.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. It just seemed to so succinctly sum up what I wanted to write. Damn that Bill Shakespeare - always one step ahead of me! Anyway, I resisted writing this one. After all, we are talking about the death of a person. Taylor was certainly, and rightly, a women of note. She was talented, beautiful, intelligent, generous, and respected. She was also rich, spoiled, drug and alcohol addicted, self-centered, self-indulgent, and married 8 times. Taylor certainly lived life to the fullest and is to be applauded for that. She should also be remembered for her charitable efforts towards combating Aids.

I don't want to rain on any one's parade, and I acknowledge the whole last Hollywood legend thing. But it's a matter of perspective. We're not talking about the death of Mother Theresa here! Yet, it's been days of massive media coverage and nostalgic tributes. We've heard from Larry King, Mickey Rooney, Debbie Reynold's, Elton John, and blah, blah, blah, blah. In fact, I think Mother Theresa would have died to get this kind of media coverage (pun intended)!

I get it. In her world, she was a great lady. However, in mine, Taylor's had minimal impact. Yes, I've enjoyed her movies. Yes, she was outspoken for good causes. Yes, she did use her celebrity to HELP to raise money for Aids research. But it's not like she single handily raised the funds. She played a role. And I often saw her as living a wildly extravagant life, inconsistent with the image of a great philanthropist. Has everyone forgotten those massive and gaudy diamond rings that she often flaunted?

I know, that's part of the image. But it's also part of the problem. And, to me, the problem is in celebrity worship. It's a topic that I've discussed more than once on this blog. Society becomes obsessed with the image of things instead of the reality of them. I also know that Hollywood is in the business of providing escapism from that harsh reality. Through that path, actors become STARS. They are larger than life. But are they really? Should they be? Again, it becomes a matter of degree and perspective.

I remember seeing comedian Robert Klein perform, many years ago. In fact, I think that I was still a student in college. Anyway, he did a bit in his routine that struck me, not only as funny, but important as well. I still remember it. It seems most appropriate now. Commenting on the place of celebrity in society, even 35 years ago, he said something like this: When it comes to our priories, I think that things might just be a bit out of wack. Charlie Sheen (or whomever the Sheen of that day was) can have the choice of many beautiful women with whom to have sex with. Jonas Salk can't get layed on a Saturday night!

Perspective, my friends, perspective. Let's finish with the praise and get on with the burying.

photo: Getty Images

3 comments:

  1. She was everyone's fantasy. Men adored her, women wanted to be her. And yes, celebrities are narcissists, otherwise why would they really want to be in front of the camera? And, unlike Sheen, who basically plays himself in the show and gets paid ridiculous amounts of money for it (he's not his father - Bartlett for America!!!), she had TALENT. Her Maggie is legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our celebreties mark the apex (and limits) of our imaginations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said my brilliant friends! And I get it. But I still think that it becomes unhealthy when it gets so blown out of proportion. I'm not sure ANYONE, much less an entertainer (all be it, a talented one), deserves this kind of adulation.

    ReplyDelete