Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Todays Douche of the Day: John Galliano


The biggest challenge with naming a DOTD is not finding one, but, rather, limiting it to just one! Another daunting task is to not be too obvious. It would be so easy to name someone like Glenn Beck on virtually a daily basis. However, there ARE days when it is relatively easy. Today is one of those days. Today's Douche of the Day is fashion designer John Galliano. And, my god, what a douche! I'm sure that most of you have seen the cell phone video of his vain, smug, drunken, belligerent, anti-Semitic rant in a Paris restaurant. What an over-the-top vainglorious fag! And forgive me my gay brothers, I don't mean it as a gay slur. Honestly, I don't even know, or CARE, if Mr. Galliano actually IS gay. That's not my point. I use it to describe a guy who is trying way too hard to be different. I appreciate and welcome eccentricities but I detest false profits of fashion like this douche.

Part of the problem lies within the fashion industry itself. By the very nature of the business itself, it attracts and worships people who promote, in a sense, vanity. And the more vain and outlandish the movers and shakers are the more successful they seem to become. This is most true in the designers. I have worked many a fashion week in NYC and have seen it first hand. While some of them seem earthy and honest, too many are WAY too full of themselves (does "The Devil Wears Prada" ring a bell?!). They see themselves as VERY IMPORTANT. The huge crowds who give them standing ovations at the end of their runway shows reinforce their roles as VIPs. Posers are also a big part of the scene. They are the ones famous for being famous.

I don't enjoy anyone losing their livelihood but what design house could possibly condone or forgive what he said? No, this guy had to go, and away he went. Much to their credit, Christian Dior, whom he designed for, said adieu - and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out (but I don't know how to say that in French)!

Look, I don't know shit about Galliano or his work in the fashion industry. I have often said that I'm the squarest guy in the news business. So, he may be a creative genius in his field. What I do know is that what he said, and how he said it, makes him the easy choice for DOTD.

photo courtesy of Google images.

3 comments:

  1. And so.... he apologizes in part he says;

    "A number of independent witnesses have given evidence and have told the police that I was subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing. For these reasons I have commenced proceedings for defamation and the threats made against me.

    His look and clothing??? Are you freaking kidding me?? He makes a living off his clothing and look. He is one of many who strive to be differet. For real...who wears that sort of shit on a daily basis. Saying I'm sorry because you were found out and exposed for the douche you are is not only saying to the people of the world 'you're more stupis than I thought' it also says you are a coward and hold no conviction for your own words, however horrid they may be, however offensive others may find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, he's contrite now - look at the fall out! And he's just the latest "celebrity" blaming addiction for incredibly boorish behavior. Of course they're fucked up! That's why they're addicted to everything but life!!! And it's why I rail on the "cult of celebrity". We worship it and it produces people so full of themselves that they might as well BE from another planet (see Charlie Sheen).

    As for striving to be different - I'm all for it. However, there's a fine line between striving and trying just too damned hard! Galliano is in the latter category. It's like, "I get it. You're different. No stop beating me over the head with it"!

    I'm sure that he must have been provoked before his tirade. Still, there is NO excuse for such a vicious diatribe. Sorry Johnny! Go luck in rehab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes rehab is just a cover for getting caught being yourself! I'm sorry is all too often really saying "I'm sorry you found out about me" Even when provoked, I stick to my beliefs, if I've said it, I mean it. My guess is he did too.

    ReplyDelete