Friday, July 3, 2015

Today's MOZEN: Take A Moment

Words and photo by F LoBuono
It was another magnificent dawn over the Tappan Zee. The golden glow that dominated the skyline predicated the arrival of a blazing sun. It was beginning to stream through my apartment, making it awash in gold. As is my habit, I rise early, often to bathe in sun-lit moments just like this one. Besides, anyone who knows me acknowledges my hyperactive nature. Sleep is just a temporary break in the action for me. Today was no exception.

So, I was ready to grab my camera and hustle to the river's edge and make some photos. Timing, for obvious reasons, is critical when attempting to catch a sunrise - to hesitate means to fail. But, gradually, I began to have a change in heart. Even though a Hudson River sunrise never ceases to fill my soul, I have experienced them so many times in my life. And, considering the rather kinetic nature of my life these days, it "dawned" on me (pun intended) that, perhaps, the last thing I needed to do was breathlessly dash to the river to make some photos that I've already made many times before. Besides, my apartment was so peaceful. The rising sun was penetrating my stained glass window, adding even more color to the fiery gold. In addition to the early hour, it's also a holiday for most, making my block even more traffic free than usual. The only sound was the slight rustling of the leaves in the gently breeze and the cacophony of birds greeting the dawn. It was wonderful. I wanted to drink it.

I decided to return to my bed. I wasn't really tired, but that was not why I was returning. If I fell asleep, fine. But, I was more interested in savoring the moment. I've needed to take my life down a notch and this was a perfect opportunity to do so. I seized it. I lay on by back in shorts and tee shirt and gently closed my eyes. I tried to clear my mind and just feel my senses - all of them. And, I did. I felt the birds celebrate the return of the light. I felt the gentle breeze as it delicately moved my shear curtains. I became more aware of my rhythmic breathing: my lungs inhaling and exhaling became my metronome. My blood pressure decreased and I was at peace. Eventually, I did drift off and slept a bit.

After some time drifting in the shadow world, it was time to return. After all, as much as we all would like to connect with ourselves as much as possible, there is a "real" world out there that must be dealt with. So,I rose and made a pot of coffee. After a couple of cups, I brushed my teeth, washed my face, ran a comb through my hair and headed for the street. There's work to be done.




No comments:

Post a Comment