Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Today's MOZEN: Birthday Message 61

Words and photo by F LoBuono
Ecclesiastesor, the Preacher

Chapter 3

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
time to be born, and a time to die. . . 
Turn, Turn, Turn

First put to music by Pete Seeger and then popularized by the 60's band, The Byrds, it has always been one of my favorite biblical passages. Beyond its religious connotation, to me, it conveys the endless cycle of life: birth and death, repeated over and over again. There is also an acceptance of fate, if not faith.  I have always found that "letting go" comforting.

It has particular meaning to me today.

It's my birthday. Sixty one years ago I opened by eyes to the world and started screaming. And, it seems that I haven't stopped bellowing since. Probably never will.  I have been given a voice and I'm going to use it where I believe that it's needed the most.

It's also a week when I lost a dear friend and co-worker, Richard (Dick) Rinehart (feels good to write his name). A quiet, dedicated man he never wavered in his devotion to his family and what he saw as his duties as a man. He literally walked around the world and documented his travels to share with his friends. His sudden and unexpected death was a shock to us all. I intensely mourned his passing. But, it also reinforced the message that life is uncertain. We need to treasure every moment. And, I'm sure that Dick would not have had it any other way.

It dawned grey, cloudy, and rainy. I suppose that it suits my rather subdued mood. I know that birthdays are usually celebratory events and I'm sure that I will mark the day with some joy and a small gathering of friends. But, it can also be a day to reflect - on where I've been, to where I may be going, and to be sure to be thankful - for ALL of it.

And, LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

No comments:

Post a Comment