Friday, April 1, 2016

Today's MOZEN: $100


Words and Photo by F LoBuono
It had been a hectic day. I had to run a bunch of errands and finish packing for my trip to Puerto Rico later that evening. Vacations and I had become strangers the last few years and it was time to do something about that. A few days of R and R in one of my favorite tropical islands ought to work wonders for an exhausted body and mind. I had worked right up until the day of my departure so some last minute prep was necessary.
One of my tasks was to see my mother, Stella. She lives with my sister and the house is on the way to the airport. At 92 she is still as vital as they come. Visiting is not a chore but, rather, a pleasure.  I did my best to leave enough time to stop and spend at least a little time with her.
My sister was out on business leaving Stella by herself. When she heard my car in the driveway she came right to the door of the house. I could tell that she was, as always, pleased to see me. Like my deceased father, nothing is more important to Stella than her family and children. Even at 92 she dotes over us. If I fail to telephone her in a day or two I will get a worried phone call inquiring:
“What’s wrong, Frankie”?
My response is usually, “really? You still worry about me”?
She always says the same thing back: “when I stop, it will be because I am dead”.
Once in the house, we sat together on the couch. As usual, the TV was on to “Dr. Phil”, “Judge Judy” or some other inane afternoon TV program that she loves to watch. She asked if she should turn off the TV. I told her muting it would be just fine. As I sat next to her she patted my thigh. She often does that. It’s one of the ways she maintains physical contact with me and show her affection. I love it.
After some time catching up, Stella slowly rose and said:
“Wait a minute. I have something for you”.
I figured that, considering I was flying later that night, it would be some type of talisman. Stella is not overtly religious but she does believe in the “goddess thing”. So, I figure it would either be a small figuring of the Virgin Mary or a small crucifix to put in my pocket. When she returned, she grabbed by hand a placed a bunch of $20 bills in it:
“Here. Take this. Have a beer or a Bloody Mary on me”.
I responded: “Stella, I make good money. I don’t need yours”.
“I know that you do. That’s not the point. I want you to have this money and have a good time with it”, she replied.
At times like these, resistance is futile. I smiled and took the money. It’s just easier than trying to reason with her. Besides, it makes us both feel so good – she, because it makes her still feel viable. And, me, because I know no one loves me better.
After about a half-hour, it was time for me to go. As I was leaving I said to her:
“You know I don’t drink Bloody Marys. But, I will have a Mohito”.
“Well, fine. Just don’t have TOO many”!


No comments:

Post a Comment