Friday, May 6, 2016

Today's Mostly True Short Story: Stella Wisdom

F LoBuono
Stella and I were driving down Palisades Avenue through the "old neighborhood". And, I do mean OLD - Cliffside Park, NJ. My father brought by mother here from her beloved Brooklyn, to his childhood home for their first domicile together. That was over sixty years ago. I spent the first three years of my life in a small, one bedroom apartment with my older sister and younger brother on Knox Ave. in the heart of the borough. My father moved us to Fort Lee, and a new life, by the time I was just three. And, after he and his siblings sold the family business there (a deli), a few years later, the strong connection was really broken. As a younger man, I had a great apartment there for a short time. But, it had been a very long time since Stella had any direct connection to the town.

I had business with a shop that frames my photographs and I convinced Stella to take the ride with me. Besides, it was close enough to one of our favorite, little seafood restaurants, Rudy's, to stop for lunch. It was on the south side of town, so we could sight see a bit as we drove to the place. We couldn't help but notice how much it had changed. It was a classic northern NJ, old town that, even though very much in the shadow of the Greatest City in the World, had it's own powerful identity. Mostly Italian, Irish, and a bit Polish, these first generation inhabitants could be tough as nails. They kept neat, well-trimmed homes in safe neighborhoods. They may not have had a lot of money, but they had each other. And, that made the 'hood very safe.

The place had certainly changed. And, why not? It was more vibrant then ever! More ethnic groups were represented with shops showing Arabic, Korean, and Turkish names. Some of the well-trimmed, intimate neighborhoods still existed. Unfortunately, some of them, however, were replaced with giant residential towers and garish McMansions. Still, there was a strong sense of NEW life there. I liked it.

As we continued our sojourn, Stella remarked about how much the town had changed. I replied:

Of course, it's changed, Stella, it's been a very long time since you've been here. Like forty years!

Wow. I guess you're right, Frankie

Sure, Stella. I just turned 61. I'm a middle-aged man, now. And, you're in your 90's. You're an old lady. Times change. We've changed!

How the hell did that happen, Frankie?!

The message was pure Stella. And, perfectly clear: in her mind, despite her increasing infirmities, she does not THINK like an "Old Person". Therefore, she is not OLD. Age is a state of mind.

Of course, I agree - Stella Maris - Star of the Sea.

Happy Mother's Day to All. Long may you reign. 



1 comment: