Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Today's Mostly True Short Story: The Bathrobe

F LoBuono

Because I had worked most of the night before, my so-called ex, Catherine, was nice enough to offer to bring our dog, Rexie, to my apartment on her way to work. We share custody and I like to keep him with me at my apartment when I have a day off (like I did that day). It's complicated - like my relationship. Anyway, I had planned to pick him up after I got a little much needed shut eye. But, bringing him to me would certainly give us more time together. She said that she would drop him off around 830 that morning.

I got home from work around 730, made myself a cup of coffee and turned on the computer and TV to relax a bit. I had about an hour to kill before they would get there, so I decided to get a bit more comfortable. Figuring that Catherine could just let the dog out when she got here and he would simply run up the steps of the porch to greet  me, I got out of my clothes and into my nice, warm bathrobe - perfect for the raw, rainy day that it was. Besides, I wasn't going anywhere except eventually to bed. Catherine texted to tell me that she was a block away and asked if I could come out for the dog. I went to the back porch, in my bathrobe, clutching my coffee cup. and waited. She pulled up and I mentioned her to let the dog out. She rolled down the window and yelled:

Can you please come down and get him?

Just let him out of the car. He'll come right up, I bellowed back.

But, it's raining and I don't want to get out in the rain, she responded over the sound of the drops.

Well, I'm in my bathrobe!

Since when has that EVER stopped you?

I hesitated for a second and pondered what she had just said. Then, nodding my head and laughing -

INDEED. But, it will only take you a moment to just open the friggin' door and let him out!

With a hrumpf and a giggle, she jumped out of the driver's seat and opened the rear door, unleashing the hound. He bounded up the steps and nearly knocked me over. She dashed back into the car, put it in gear, beeped, and went on her way.

I guess she does know me, more than I often give her credit for.







2 comments:

  1. Another slice of life from the pie maker of humanity, Mr. F. LoBuono.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Arthur. I'm glad that you felt it. Catherine is Cat. And, I am me. It can make you smile - if you let it! :)

    ReplyDelete