Saturday, August 13, 2016

Guest Artist - Poetry by Ian Keeney "E-race My Name

E-race My Name
by Ian Keeney

Black
Hispanic
Caucasian
Asian
We are all part of the human equation.

African
Canadian
Brazilian
Russian
We come from the same Earth so what's the discussion?

Look into these eyes,
Recognize what it is you see.
Not the skin on the outside,
But what's on the inside of me.

I am your friend. I am your brother.
I am your equal, not your enemy.
We stand united as one power,
The human race, each a delicate flower
In a boundless potpourri.

Erase my face. 
Look at my soul. 
Then you will see me as a whole.

I am a doctor who heals the sick. 
I am a custodian who mops the floor. 
I built your house brick by brick. 
I fought for this country when we went to war. 

We may not look the same
But we look at the same sky. 
Don't look down at me or cast up your nose,
Look straight at me, eye to eye.

Latino
Filipino
Pakistani
Indian
Inside, humans are all of the same composition.

Native American
Native Hawaiian
Pacific Islander
Other
You may not look like me, but you are still my brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment