Sunday, August 21, 2016

Today's Mostly True Short Story: When the Osprey Return



F LoBuono
Despite the fact that it was a blistering hot summer day, I was walking at a good pace. To protect myself from the scorching rays of the sun, I was wearing my broad-brimmed Panama Hat. Besides the obvious protection it provides, it looks cool as hell on me. I wear it low on my forehead, keep my head down, and just keep trucking along. In other words, I'm in my own little world and rarely get distracted by anyone.
I had just about reached the center of town when I heard someone say, "they're back". I glanced up briefly not sure where the voice had come from and what he had meant. That's when I noticed him. He's a regular in town and a little down on his luck. He was sitting on a bench in front of one of the retail stores. His clothes were dirty as was his face. I'm not sure where he lives but he's always around. But, outside of trying to bum cigarettes, he harms no one. I shot him a quick "hi" and continued on my way. Then, he said again - "they're back"! This time I slowed and asked, "who's back"? Excitedly, he pointed skyward and said, "the Osprey. They return to the same spot every year"! I followed his finger towards the azure sky and sure enough, there they were; two of them, soaring just above the village. There was no mistaking their bright white chests as they reflected the brilliant sunshine. They must have been a mating pair. Osprey are known to mate for life. Obviously, these two, as evidenced by their close aerial acrobatics, where well known to one another. Their flight was so effortless as they caught the wind off the water that they hardly had to beat there wings to stay aloft.
photo Graham Owen

I thought about pulling out my cell phone to attempt to capture an image of them. But, they were too high and moving too much for the camera in my phone to have made a decent photo. Besides, it was wonderful to simply enjoy them in the moment. They were there, real, and magnificent. And, for the brief period of time that I gazed at the fluid grace of their flying, simply enjoying them was enough. The camera never made it out of my pocket.

And, the Osprey went their way and I, mine. Just another day in Nyack.

I love this town.

2 comments: