Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Today's MOZEN: The Reality Show Host

F LoBuono
Man, I'm just dying to write about something else besides politics. And, I have - just not enough lately. There's just too much going down and this election is WAY too important to not be involved. The fate of the world depends on our decision. It has always been that way and it is now more so than ever. In my 40+ years of voting I can't recall a more significant or divisive campaign.

Let's be honest. BOTH candidates, Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump, are polarizing figures to say the least. Ms. Clinton, although in my opinion infinitely more qualified for the Presidency than Mr. Trump, has issues with many voters in the area of trust. She has made conflicting comments over the years that have been used to her detriment. With a person who has spent as much of her adult life in the glare of the public arena as Ms. Clinton, changing opinions can be seen as evolving on many issues. Still, there are those who simply see it as a lack of character. They believe that she uses political expediency in a way that erodes her credibility. In other words, she'll say anything to get elected. There are those who flat out hate her. I understand the concern. Veracity is a key virtue in a leader. But, the vitriol is mostly unwarranted and fueled by the likes of Faux News.

As for Mr. Trump, for the life of me I just can't see the appeal on ANY level. I get the fact that he has tapped into the dissatisfaction of the working-class, white male voter. And, their discontent is well founded. The working-class, white male can rightly be seen as an endangered species. Still, even with that said, in my mind he offers NOTHING of any value. Nothing.

First, he does not speak well. His speeches are filled with nothing more than hollow promises said with poor grammar, a lame vocabulary, and personal platitudes. And, instead of fortifying his position with facts and figures he asks you to trust him by constantly repeating "believe me, it's going to be this way". Really. Why the hell should I? He LIES constantly. Fact finding sites regularly point out that HE and not Clinton has the most difficulty with the truth. And, if you challenge him on any of these issues, he displays the posturing of a classic bully: he gets LOUD and UGLY.

Many claim that because he is a billionaire (although we have to take his word on THAT too - he refuses to release his tax returns) he MUST be a successful businessman. He claims that he will use that acumen to Make America Work Again. However, his business FAILURES are well documented. He has filed for bankruptcy FOUR times. FOUR. Mega-mogul and former NY City Mayor, Michael Bloomberg, has called him a sham and a CON (literally). Another billionaire, Mark Cuban, recently echoed Bloomberg's assessment. Economist after economist rail on his economic (or lack thereof) policies.

His fanatic and loyal followers constantly accept his frequent verbal blunders by saying (and believing) that "at least he speaks his mind and says the same things that I'm feeling". Well, and I do my best to avoid pejoratives, if you relate to the idiotic things that he says than what does that make you? I have many friends that speak their minds. I'd like to think that I do, too. But, they're not idiots - and, those that are I ignore! So, why should I listen to the biggest fool I know?

Although of least importance, I find him most unappealing physically. He is overweight and out of shape - not the type of man I see as a leader. If he can't even take care of himself, what can he offer to others? His hair is an elaborate "comb over" that, apparently, hides some type of baldness. And, his skin often appears orange and his eyes white giving the impression of some type of golden raccoon.

About the only thing I see him being successful at is self-promotion. He's damned good at that! With that skill he has managed to make the transition from TV Reality Show Host to Presidential candidate. The only problem is he STILL treats that lofty position as if he still IS a TV Reality Show host. If you see your President as a man who's greatest skill is saying, "Your Fired", and takes joy in doing so, then by all means, you've found your man.



2 comments: