Monday, August 8, 2016

Today's Mostly True Story: The Deadly Banana

F LoBuono
Security at the National Political Conventions is a necessary evil. Everyone who attends them understands this. But, make no mistake, evil it is. It's just a matter of degree. It's a pain in the ass at best and draconian at its worst.

I remember how difficult it was few years back at, I believe, the DNC in Boston. As expected, EVERYONE, despite how many security badges you may have (and, I always have plenty), must clear the so-called magnatometers or metal detectors before they can enter the venue. Of course, you are restricted as to what you can actually bring in with you. These include any sharp object or tool (they are left inside the venue and cleared by the Secret Service BEFORE the event begins), as well as water, and umbrellas among other seemingly innocuous objects (one of my crew mates had a bag of hard candies confiscated). Well, for some reason they had only 2 or 3 working machines for thousands of people who needed entrance. Therefore, the lines were extraordinarily long. It could take well over an hour just to clear security. Now, this may not seem terrible but when you factor in the 90 degree + heat and regular summer thunderstorms, it becomes a little more difficult. Then consider the fact that you are standing in the heat without water (remember, you can't bring any in with you) and no umbrella to keep you dry from the pounding rain, and it can become downright miserable.

However, perhaps the strangest restriction I ever encounter was four years ago at the RNC in Tampa, Florida. I was working the graveyard shift and, therefore, providing my own meals would be necessary. So, I added some snacks, including a banana to my backpack. As is always the case, the Secret Service rummaged through it. When they came to the banana, the officer said, "you can't take this in with you". Incredulously, I responded, "WHY"? He replied, "because it can be used as a weapon". Again, with disbelief, I said, "HOW"? "You could freeze it and attack someone with it", he answered. "Or, I could peel it and eat it as the piece of fruit that it is". My humor was lost on the agent - as was my banana!

Sometimes, the encounters are not so "innocent". Recently, at the just completed RNC in Cleveland, I had a confrontation with the TSA agent that was working my security line. And, it almost got very ugly.

It was the last night of the Convention and, after repeated trips through the security line, I was making one last run. I was wearing the same work vest that I had on for the many previous trips. It has many pockets for storage and areas to clip on some of the tools of my trade, like pens and earpieces, etc. On one of the clips I hung a small flash light that I use for many operations in the darkened broadcast areas where I work. It had been there for ALL of my previous trips through. Suddenly the agent proclaimed, "you can't take that in with you". In amazement I blurted out, "WHY? I've brought it with every time through with no issue". "Well, you can't now", was his curt response. With my voice raising slightly I came back, "why is this trip any different from the previous 50 that I just completed"?! "Because it is", was his curt comeback. I would not let it go - either physically or emotionally: "I am a technician and this is a tool of my trade and essential for me to do my job"! The TSA agent argued further: "all of your tools are supposed to be inside". "All of my 'sharp' tools ARE - this is completely different"! At that point a Cleveland police officer came over and said, "you need to calm down". I told him that I WAS completely calm but that I was not going to give up that flashlight! "THIS IS NOT RIGHT", I repeated. Just when I thought it might escalate to the point where I might get arrested, a TSA lieutenant came over and asked to see my flashlight. He turned it on and said, "it's a damned flashlight, give it to him"!

I suppose the moral of the story is that just because someone in authority says something is so, doesn't make it right. And, when YOU are in the right, stand your ground - no matter who says otherwise.

Epilogue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPFIudX2UIc






1 comment: